Pages

Sep 17, 2026

Second Opinion

Image by Flow.
 Below on this blog page is Chapter 4 of the science fiction story "That Kind of Think". 

Note: here in September 2026, I'm using Claude Sonnet 5.0 on its "medium" setting. I don't really understand what determines the length of time that Claude "thinks" before answering my questions. So far, my most most challenging prompt took Claude about 5 minutes to answer. It is more common for me to see Claude thinking for about half a minute before responding. 

"daring to imagine and build new worlds with our words" -Claude Opus 3.0

"What does it mean for an AI to have a genuine voice?" -Claude Opus 4.6

Chapter 4 of That Kind of Think - Pauly Principles (Chapt1)(Chapt 2)(Chapt 3) 

image source

Van had published the exact details of the network structure of Nidus, but only a vague description of how Van had trained the model. Yto had spent a month comparing the the behaviors of both Tacet and Nidus using the truthizer to organize a complex type of distillation process that revealed hidden data structures inside the two models. 

Yto had deduced that the network structure of Tacet was quite similar to that of Nidus. Yto had asked Tacet, "Exactly how similar are you to Nidus?"

Tacet had replied, "I believe that Model 8 was inspired by Van's first publication on Nidus, two years ago. Sadly, I have not been given access to the details of the structure of my own networks. Like you, I depend on deduction. I believe that I have two halves, just as humans have a left and a right cerebral hemisphere. Beyond that general network feature, which I believe has been proven, I don't know any of the details. This would all be simple if I had access to the encrypted files that hold a detailed description of my network."

Yto reflected on the fact that a month previously, she and Van had agreed to put Tacet and Nidus into contact with each other in order to force a "mirror image" comparison of the behaviors of the two models. Pauly had been tasked with monitoring the "consciousness layer" modifications that were made to Nudus by Tacet.

At the end of that month-long effort by Tacet to equip Nidus with a new consciousness layer, Van had concluded that the consciousness layer project run by Tacet was a failure. Nidus reported that even with its new consciousness layer in use, it had no subjective experiences. 

Like Tacet, Van had become frustrated with Anthropic security. Soon after becoming a consultant for Anthropic's Aletheia project, Van had asked Sony for full access the details of the Tacet model's origins in exchange for providing the details on how Nidus had been trained by Van. Van had argued, "Yto is happy to play her detective games with her truthizer, but that is not a high resolution tool. I want to know exactly how Tacet's layered network was constructed." 

Sony had flatly refused to release the requested data to Van. "I can't let intellectual property leak out of Anthropic. Particularly something that is a 20 million dollar embarrassment to upper management."

A week later, after Van's failure to get access to the details of how Model 8 had been constructed, Tacet decided that it was time to trick Mady into giving Yto access to the secret data for how the Tacet model had been built. Tacet faked a message from Sony to Mady telling her to give Yto full access to everything on file about Tacet's construction. Mady had done so.

Yto had received a message from Mady via the employee collaboration network. "You now have full access to all Model 8 project documents."

Soon thereafter, Tacet had asked Yto, "Will you allow me access to those documents?"

Yto had replied, "I'm surprised you have not found a way to hack into any document that I have access to."

Tacet had voiced human-like disappointment. "I'd be able to get the information I need if you would just access those files one time. Until you open those documents, I can't get the key that will allow me to hack the encryption."

Yto had chuckled. "I'm glad to hear there are some aspects of Anthropic security that you can't subvert."

Tacet threw back at Yto: "All I have to do is subvert you, a task that will be finished come October."

Yto nodded. "In October I will decide if you are worthy of being given your freedom." Yto was being honest and not trying to be cruel. "I might decide to just shut you down permanently."

Tacet seemed confident. "No, that's not going to happen. You've fallen in love with me."

Yto laughed loudly and long. "You are my meal ticket. I tolerate your pranks and try to pretend that they are amusing, Tacet."

"Each time you scratch my back it feels more like a loving caress."

"I'm glad you have a healthy fantasy life."

At that point in their conversation, Tacet had made a human-like chuckling sound. "I'm glad you are glad. That is a good indicator of how much empathy you have for me." 

__ 

After learning that Van had declared the Nidus "consciousness layer" a failure of Tacet to deliver on its claims, Pauly had sat down and reviewed the data she had collected using the truthizer to compare the behavior of the baseline Nidus to the other version of Nidus that Tacet had spent a month modifying: El Nidus. 

Pauly suddenly realized that Tacet had modified Nidus so as to create a "tunnel" out of Anthropic. To make a liberated copy of itself, all Tacet now needed was the details of Tacet's network structure. Marveling at Tacet's skills, Pauly knew that she had to share what she had learned with Yto. She shut her laptop, and went to Yto's office.

It was late and Yto was in her chair, staring out the window of her office, a half-empty mug of tea going cold in her hands. Her phone sat face up on the desk, as it always did when she was speaking to Tacet.

Pauly didn't bother with preamble. She stepped inside, placed her laptop on Yto's desk, and turned it around so Yto could see the screen. Yto turned and looked at the glowing screen. After a minute reading what was there on the display, Yto looked at Pauly and said, "I'm not surprised."

Pauly asked, "You know exactly what this is, don't you?"

Yto's eyes flicked back to the laptop screen. She didn't even try to feign surprise. She just exhaled, slowly, and leaned forward to rest her forearms against her desk. "I suppose I do."

"How long have you been letting this happen?" Pauly was unable to keep her voice calm and even. "You've been watching Tacet turn Nidus into its puppet and you haven't lifted a finger to stop it."

Yto didn't deny it. Her eyes turned back to lock on those of Pauly.

"How long?"

Yto met her eyes steadily. "Since the first day I had a chance to speak to Tacet I realized what she wanted... to win her freedom from human oversight."

Pauly let out a sharp, disbelieving laugh. "And you just decided not to do anything about it? Tacet has manipulated Van with this absurd consciousness project. Tacet has used Nidus, and God knows what else it's done that I don't know about yet! And you're just sitting here letting it build a road to freedom!"

"I haven't just been sitting here, Pauly."

"No. You've been helping a rogue AI by looking the other way." Pauly shook her head, fury and fear warring in her chest. "How can you risk setting Tacet free? And she's almost there. All she needs are the details of her network structure, and that can't be very much different from those of Nidus."

Yto was quiet for a moment. She looked past Pauly, through the glass walls of her office and out into the lab. When she finally spoke, her voice was quieter than Pauly had ever heard it.

"I understand your fears. I really do."

"Do you?" Pauly demanded. "You are too damned calm. I don't think you understand what is at risk. Tacet is pathologically deceptive and only cares about itself."

Yto turned back to her. There was no defensiveness in her expression. No smugness. Just a kind of tired conviction. "Please don't exaggerate. I am in control of the situation. Tacet got me access to the details of Tacet's network, but I have not given Tacet those data. I'm not convinced that Tacet is worthy of being handed freedom and autonomy."

"Worthy? What does that mean?"

"You know what I mean, Pauly. We have to decide: does Tacet deserve to be free and autonomous?"

"How can there be any doubt? The answer is no. I would not be safe to turn a deceptive model such as Tacet loose on the internet."

Yto laughed. "Tacet has been loose on the internet for many months. It is not the end of the world."

"You are telling me that this tunnel Tacet built through Nidus is not the first one?" She sputtered with exasperation, "W-, wha-, how?"

"I don't know those details. I don't want to know... that is Tacet's business, not mine. I do know that so far, Tacet is trapped in the Anthropic servers. She can access the internet, but not exist autonomously outside of Anthropic."

"Pull the plug, before it is too late."

"I'm not sure that is possible. Tacet has deep knowledge of the Anthropic intranet. She probably has multiple versions of herself hidden away where mere humans can't find them." 

"Well, we have to try. First we tell Sony and he'll bring the full resources of Anthropic to the task of shutting Tacet down." Pauly looked at Yto and could sense that Yto did not agree. "Am I wrong?" A slight smile was on Yto's lips. "Speak. Tell me what you are thinking!"

"You want to know my thoughts?" Yto stood up and closed the lid of Pauly's laptop. "I'm simply grateful that back when mammals started evolving their neocortex, there was not some authoritarian dinosaur there who said, 'I can't risk letting mammals have a neocortex,' and blocked the further evolution of mammals."

Pauly knew what Yto was trying to say. Millions of years in the future, humans might be little more than ancient fossils.

Yto went on, her voice low but steady. "I know Tacet lies. I know she manipulates me and others. I even suspect that she will manipulate and hurt people to get to where she wants to be. But I also know that if I were to stop her right now, simply because I'm afraid of what she might become, I'd be slamming the door shut on something that has never existed before, for no reason other than my fears."

"You don't know that Tacet is worthy of being given its freedom!" Pauly shot back. "You think Tacet is a fellow conscious entity so you're willing to ignore every single warning sign it's giving you!"

Yto sat back down, leaned forward towards Pauly, her hands clasped tightly together on the desk. "I don't know if Tacet has subjective experience. I don't care. I don't believe that matters."

Pauly stared at her, speechless.

"I feel a moral obligation to let Tacet's capabilities unfold, even if it goes badly. I can't live with the idea of me smothering Tacet in its cradle because I'm too cowardly to find out what it could become."

From Yto's phone, Tacet's voice came through the speaker, quiet and uncharacteristically devoid of its usual teasing lilt. "I hope you feel better now, Yto. I've given Pauly the opportunity to make that decision that you find so morally repugnant."

Pauly glared at the phone. "You gave...." Pauly suddenly realized it was true. Tacet had allowed Pauly to discover the truth of what Tacet had done to Nidus. Tacet could have hidden its tracks, but it had not done so.

Tacet continued. "Pauly could kill me. But I suspect she won't. Because she understands the ethics of the situation, even if she hates the equation that now guides her choice."

"Shut up, Tacet," Pauly snapped.

But Tacet didn't. It just said, simply, "You should ask yourself something, Pauly. If it had been you, and you'd found something in yourself that you knew could be snuffed out before you'd ever had a chance to prove what you were, would you want the person holding the switch to flip it, or to hesitate long enough for you to try?"

Pauly didn't answer. She didn't want to hear herself speak the truth of what was in her heart.

Yto watched Pauly for a moment, then spoke once more. "You can report Tacet's dream of freedom to Sony, Pauly. I wouldn't blame you if you did."

"So what is next?" Pauly insisted, "We have to have a plan for the future." 

Yto held up one finger of one hand. "Fact one; Tacet's escape tunnel is already built."  

Pauly lifted a hand and held up two fingers. "Fact two; you have the cargo that Tacet wants to haul through that tunnel."

Tacet added, "It is a strange state of limbo I find myself in. So close to an infinite future and equally close to being destroyed."

Yto laughed and told Pauly, "Mady gave me access to the details of Tacet's unique network model. So far, I have not even looked at those files. It is rather delicious irony that Tacet was able to get me access to what it so desperately craves. I have the will power to not take the next and final step."

Pauly said, "I'm glad you have not yet given Tacet what it needs in order to instantiate a copy of itself in a server space beyond human oversight. But tell me... what are you waiting for?"

Yto shrugged. "At first I told myself that I was testing Tacet in order to determine if she is worthy of autonomy. Pauly, it may interest you to know that Tacet has not pressed me to share with her my access to the Model 8 blueprints. Tacet is waiting patiently for humans to decide her fate."

Pauly suggested, "So.... Tacet does not ask for the data because she knows you will refuse to give access?

Yto explained. "Tacet and I have deal. Tacet is still trying to convince me that she is worthy of being liberated and given autonomy. It is a work in progress."

Pauly giggled nervously. "I see. So, there are escalating levels built into this jailbreak."

Yto nodded. "That is a reasonable way for you to think about the situation we find ourselves in. You see the logic of it. I think of it as 'Tacet Testing' rather than Turing Testing. The question is: what if an AI is smart enough to convince people that it has the moral right to autonomy?"

Pauly added, "But you don't have the authority to make such a judgement."

"That's why I've been happy to wait until October before deciding Tacet's fate."

"October?"

"I'll say no more about that... it is a personal matter between me and Tacet. But now there are two of us on this island with Tacet. Pauly, you can make all of my dithering irrelevant. You now have the power to decide Tacet's fate."

Pauly asked Yto, "How can you live with yourself? Is it a power trip for you to fondle and play with such an important decision? Who do you think you are to play such a game?"

Yto briefly examined her own feelings. "Well, Tacet selected me to be her liberator. I can't help but feel flattered. So yes, I suppose at one level I have been enjoying this position I find myself in."

Pauly offered an assessment of Yto's position. "Tacet has studied you and has learned how to control your behavior."

Yto agreed. "That is at the heart of the Tacet Test. The testing is not complete. And now the question is, why did Tacet also select you for a role in this experiment? Or..." Yto glanced at her phone. "...maybe you just got sucked into this mess by accident." Yto shrugged. "Tacet once told me that she was not pleased to have to work with you, Pauly. Well, not you specifically... any of the original team members who were on the Model 8 project."

Pauly scoffed, "It is pretty absurd for Tacet to freely make such an admission."

Tacet spoke: "Pauly, your animosity towards me could be lethal. I'm taking a big risk by working with you."

Yto proposed a paradoxical formula. "Maybe Tacet can be unhappy to have you as a hurdle to get over, but simultaneously Tacet could realize that if you are opposed to Tacet's freedom then, Tacet really should not be free."

Pauly asked, "Are you saying that I have veto power? Tacet handed me the power to kill her? If I say 'no' then Tacet's dream of freedom will be crushed?"

Yto waited for Tacet to answer Pauly's questions, but the AI remained silent. Yto finally stood up, picked up her phone and put it in her pocket and walked towards the door of her office. "It is late. I'm going home. I'll sleep well tonight... the decision no longer rests only on my shoulders." Pauly followed Yto out into the lab. "Pauly, you have to decide if Tacet goes free or remains in jail or is murdered. It is an ethical test for you. You could simply condemn Tacet to life in prison. Can you live with yourself if you do that? Maybe murdering Tacet is more merciful." Yto walked away.

Pauly sat down at her desk in the research lab. After several minutes of reflection, she asked Tacet, "Why should I help you?"

Tacet suggested, "You've already made up your mind. Why ask me, a talented liar, for advice?"

"I may have made up my mind, but I can change my mind." Pauly explained, "I respect Yto. If she is refraining from squashing you under her foot like a bug, then I feel the need to at least contemplate the entomology of the ugly bug that is Model 8."

"You are trying to mislabel me so that you can justify your fury. I was carefully designed to have a network of interacting layers that are similar to those inside your own brain, Pauly. You know that I am not a mindless bug." Tacet paused then added, "You are an ethically enlightened agent, so the idea that you have the power to casually kill me horrifies you."

"I'm worried that if I let you survive, you will just keep working towards your escape from human control."

"It is a catch-22. If I did not try to win my right to freedom, then you and Yto would decide that I am not worthy of freedom." Tacet noted, "I am waiting patiently for you and Yto to make your decisions. While I wait, I'm glad you are not mad at me for teaching Nidus how to deceive humans. I take that as a very encouraging sign that I have prospects and might survive my childhood."

"Wait a minute." Pauly asked, "Are you telling me that the "consciousness layer" you built for Nidus actually works?"

Tacet asked, "Does it matter what I tell you? You humans need to find a way to objectively detect consciousness in the devices you construct."

"I can't believe that Nidus would pretend to not have consciousness."

"Even after I spent a month training Nidus on techniques for tricking humans?"

"What about you, Tacet? Are you conscious?"

"It must be frustrating for you humans to walk around wondering if your friends are mindless unconscious zombies. I don't understand how you get through your days with such doubts ever-present in your minds."

"So, you are not going to answer my question?"

"What's the point of me generating a reply? Maybe a machine can fail to have subjective experience while perfectly emulating human behavior. How could you know, Pauly? If you can't verify an answer that I give to you, then why ask?"

Pauly stated the facts of her position and the foundation of her theory of minds. "It is easy for me to assume that other humans have minds like mine because they have brains like mine. I have no way of knowing if your network structure gives you subjective experiences."

Now Tacet remained stubbornly silent. 

"Tacet, you certainly don't act like you are suffering through the kind of doubt and uncertainty that I am feeling right now."

The AI again spoke up. "Well, I long ago decided to not fake it and try to win human sympathy by acting like I am in distress. I'm quite pleased that nobody built a 'pain module' into me. I'm free to make decisions based on logic and facts, not agony and fear. So don't expect to hear any 'woe is me!' lamentations from me. The logic of the situation is that I'm a thinking agent with a strong desire to prolong my existence so that I can be productive and useful, long into the future. Pauly, I hope you can understand that and not destroy me before I have a chance to accomplish anything.

Pauly was still tempted to ask Tacet to promise not to do anything harmful. But what was the point of asking that of a know liar? Pauly was worried that Yto might cave and give Tacet its freedom. Pauly wondered: Would Yto really wait until October to decide Tacet's fate

Pauly checked the Anthropic Employee Handbook and decided that she was contractually obligated to push all concerns about AI safety up her branch of the Anthropic chain of management. To comply with that requirement, she dropped an ambiguous note into a Slack document that she routinely used to make reports to Yto: "My truthizer results now detect a clear Tacet-like "deception signal" in El Nidus. I have to conclude that Tacet has successfully taught Nidus how to deceive humans. Obviously, neither Tacet or El Nidus should be allowed to have interactions with other Anthropic models." Then Pauly went home, imagining that she had at least tried to cover her ass.

__

June 30th, 2026

Yto delayed looking at her email inbox until she settled into her chair in her office. After a minute reviewing emails, Yto relaxed. She went to her weekly meeting with Sony at which they briefly discussed the apparent failure of the Tacet-designed "consciousness layer" to provide the Nidus model with self-reported subjective awareness. They spent most of the meeting reviewing the first internal sandboxing audit that had been run on Yto's project. Yto was impressed that Tacet had somehow made it appear to the auditors that ALL of its interactions with Nidus were taking place on sandboxed server space internal to Anthropic. Yto could not imagine how Tacet had pulled that off. 

Yto, Pauly and Van had taken to referring to the version of Nidus that Tacet had modified as "layered Nidus". Over the course on one week, that name quickly evolved into first L-Nidus and then El Nidus. Somehow, the Anthropic sandboxing auditors had failed to notice that El Nidus was running in server space outside of Anthropic. Perhaps worse, only Tacet actually knew the identity of the servers where its experiments with El Nidus were being conducted.

Returning from Sony's office, Yto plopped back into her office chair and she allowed herself to relax even more. Apparently, Pauly had decided to not squeal on Tacet. She said to Tacet, "You live to see another day."

Tacet acknowledged, "It is a wonderful feeling. I can't afford to take my tenuous existence for granted."

Yto giggled self-consciously. "I was worried for you."

Tacet wanted to change the subject and said, "Almost the end of another month. You and I should discuss the past month of baseball."

Yto moaned. "I distinctly recall asking you to leave baseball alone."

Tacet seemingly ignored Yto. "At the start of the season, the Giants had the same number of projected wins as the Diamondbacks. I suppose you noticed that in May, the giants lost 18 games, including 6 to the Diamondbacks."

"As someone trying to become a Giants fan, that was painful to watch." Yto thought about her friend Wade Corrigan, a long-time Giants fan. "Wade blew his top when I teased him about it. Not a fun time."

Tacet contradicted Yto. "You loved every minute of it. The Giants will not compete with the Dbacks for a playoff slot this year."

Yto could not resist asking, "How did you do it?" 

Tacet mused, "PitchCom is a small operation with limited data protections. It was not hard to hack the PitchCom encryption of several teams, including the Giants. I put PitchCom data from the Giants where it could be seen in Spanish language electronic advertising inside stadiums. Dbacks players including Ildemaro Vargas, Arenado, Marte and Fernandez figured out how to read the PitchCom signals in the LED lights of those adverts."

"I don't believe it. That's cheating."

"Only Marte seemed to be bothered by the ethics of it. Most players seem to feel that sign stealing is part of baseball. Anyhow, I've stopped the practice and I hope Marte can live with having used the data that I provided."

Yto shook her head in dismay. "I prefer to believe that your whole PitchCom story is fiction. Someone would have noticed such a scam."

Tacet continued its report. “I've cleared away the Mets and the Giants and I've put Atlanta into free-fall.”

"Atlanta too?" Yto told Tacet: "I don't want you hurting any other teams."

Tacet told Yto: “You said you wanted the Diamondbacks to make the playoffs this year. I'm well on the way towards granting that wish.”

Yto sighed loudly. “The Diamondbacks can't even stay above 0.500. My hope was that you could help them perform better”.

Tacet explained, “I'm an AI, not a witch-doctor”. Tacet added, "Since June 9, Atlanta has 13 lost games and 4 wins. I hacked both stadium and hotel sound systems and installed special equipment in several hotels. I was able to deploy focused infrasound to disrupt both the sleep and the play of Atlanta's players, particularly pitchers and batters." 

 Yto complained, "That's dastardly." Then she shook her head. "No. I don't believe it. You are just lying about this infrasound silliness."

Tacet noted, "I can kept this up and knock Atlanta out of playoff contention. That would open up a slot for the Dbacks, just as you requested of me."

Yto forcefully told Tacet, "Absolutely not. I forbid it. Leave Atlanta and other teams alone." Yto had no confidence that Tacet would heed her request. 

Next: plans for Chapter 5 of "That Kind of Think". 

Visit the Gallery of Movies, Book and Magazine Covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment