Mar 29, 2012

New Look

Last August Blogger introduced a new blogging interface, and the bloggers who enjoy being at the bleeding edge helped Blogger develop the new interface. Back in October 2011 the folks at Blogger said: "In about two weeks from today, all Blogger accounts that haven’t yet made the switch will be upgraded to the new user interface." I've been able to avoid using the "upgrade" so far.
If Blogger is going to force everyone to use the new interface then is it really an "upgrade"? They simply decided to change the interface and I have to use it...I'll get to decide if I think the change is a benefit.

Captions...OMG!
It would be interesting to know if Google has any software developers who have a job description such as: "Find out what bloggers want and provide them with the needed tools to improve the blogging process". I have the feeling that support for Blogger is very low on the list of priorities for Google. I would not be surprised if some day I see the message: "Google pulls the plug on Blogger".

It happened

The Wiki Fiction blog has been assimilated as of April 19, 2012.
I now have new buttons to play with. But.....

WYSIWYG   I'm old enough to have used pre-WYSIWYG software. When the Macintosh came out (1984) I bought one and I was glad to leave the horrors of the bad-old-days behind. 2012. And the $40,000,000,000 "techno giant" Google gives me an "updated" interface that can't actually do WYSIWYG. Google isn't evil, it only feels that way.

January 2013 update. One of the most annoying bugs in the new Blogger interface has been one that has inserted unwanted line breaks into blog posts when I use the HTML editor. Ug! I suppose Google thinks this is a "feature". The joys of using free software....

August 2014 update. It seems like someone at Google must still be working on the Blogger interface. Recently the feature for inserting links stopped working right. A day later that bug was fixed. There's still a bug that can sometimes result in no space between a figure and the adjacent text. Today I came across a new bug that causes the placement of images to not display correctly while in edit mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment