Dec 13, 2021

Some Other Page

I occasionally blog about the Blogger service because the wikifiction blog is hosted by Google. Here in December 2021, the Blogger servers have often been quite slow. I've seen people complaining on Twitter about being unable to upload new images to their blog. Sometimes I've had to wait several minutes for a response from the Blogger servers when I try to upload an image. Today I tried to open and edit a blog post and I got the amusing message shown to the right.

some draft posts
Yes, it appears that Jimmy the intern is again fondling the innards of the Blogger software, seeing what kind of havoc can be induced. I tend to accumulate multiple partially completed blog posts and each time I return to one of them to do some editing, I can't stop myself from worrying that Blogger might have erased all of my work. Thus, it is hard on my heart when I try to open a blog post and I get the incoherent message "Check again later for some other page information for editing." It brings back memories of the HAL computer singing "Daisy".

At other times, there is no error message and no incoherent message, just flashing blue lines that endlessly zap across the webpage as the Blogger servers fail to find my blog post. Jimmy the intern must stay up late at night inventing new ways to strike terror into bloggers.

Blog Archive

Another "joy" to report in Bloggerland is that there is still a bug that can allow you to "publish" a blog post on the first day of the month but have it be listed in the "blog archive" under the previous month. On December 1st, I published "The Q Time Loop", "The Catski Gambit", "The Wysy way" and "An Amazing Contest" and they were all initially placed under the list of November blog posts while having the date at the top of each post showing "Dec 1". I had to unpublish each of them, wait a while, then re-publish them; the second time around they actually got listed as December blog posts.

Sometimes Blogger can't save an edited blog post. A small blue wheel just keeps turning and turning and turning until eventually a cloud icon with a line through it appears letting me know that my recent edits have not been saved. Another good excuse to take a potty break.

wikifiction blog posts
The "new Blogger" still constantly fails to gracefully create HTML code from its "composer" view. 

"your" HTML

Every time I re-open a draft blog post I can expect to see the message shown to the right. Note: "Your HTML" is the HTML code that the Blogger software creates while I edit in the compose mode. So more properly the message should say: "Blogger again failed to create correct HTML code for your blog post".

Google search
Also, here in December 2021, long after I put this blog behind Blogger's "sensitive content" barrier, I saw the warning shown to the right. 

Related Reading: sex in 👽 science fiction and "The World Well Lost".

Next: return of the Star King

the "latest" Blogger "news" for December 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment