Mar 19, 2024

The Systolina Chapel

Image by WOMBO Dream.
 As described in my previous blog past, I collaborated with Claude to get an AI-generated draft of scene 30 of "The Nanite Smuggler". In my plans for scene 30 I included: The femtobot copies of Eddy and Zeta and Systolina return to Threy, meet Kasty one last time and pass into the Hierion Domain. However, Claude completely ignored my suggestion that Systolina "pass into the Hierion Domain". That narrative choice by Claude got me thinking, which is really the most important thing that comes from collaborating with Large Language Models to create a science fiction novel.

Thinking. What if Systolina does not want to transcend into the Hierion Domain? And what if the ending of "The Nanite Smuggler" was told from the perspective of Systolina? Below is my version of scene 30.

Scene 30

August 3rd, 2040

Inside the home of Eddy and Zeta, Tyhry, Systolina and the femtobot copies of Eddy and Zeta were preparing to return to Threy. Systolina said, “Somehow it seems wrong… paradoxical. I’ve already seen that there is a copy of me inside the Hierion Domain, but I’m not at all certain that I want to transcend into the Hierion Domain.”

Eddy suggested, “It may be like the Sedron Time Stream. At some time in the future, you -or a copy of you- may decide to enter the Hierion Domain. What you saw could be a copy of you from the future.”

Tyhry had her own idea. “Maybe sometime in the past, the Phari put a copy of you into the Hierion Domain and then they erased your memory of that, much in the way Manny the bumpha erased many of my father’s memories.”

Eddy specified, “Manny blocked me from remembering some things I had discovered. Lucky for me, those old memories were not actually erased.

Zeta said, “Manny is full of tricks.” She ran a hand through her amazing nanite enhanced hair, which Zeta chose to model after Manny’s spectacular hair. “Now I understand why Manny made my cloned sister, Yōd.. just to teach us about synapex links. That was quite a trick.”

Tyhry nodded. “You and your sister were just like Marda and I, a pair of mind clones.” Tyhry told the replicoid copies of her parents, “Because of our tryp’At gene patterns, Marda and I have shared a strong telepathic connection since we were born. In your case, mom, you only had a weak ability to sense Yōd’s mind. Neanderthals only have a weak, subconscious type of technology-assisted telepathy that is made possible by their zeptite endosymbiont. The tryp’At brain is fully capable of using their endosymbiont for telepathy.”

Zeta added, “When Eddy and I obtained synapex technology from Alastor Cluster, Yōd and I could amplify our telepathic abilities. Still, our telepathic connection was so noisy, it was agonizing to try to use it for sending messages.”

Eddy laughed. “We did not know any better! At the time, I was grateful for any way to get reports from Yōd about what she was finding inside the Asimov Reality Simulation.”

Tyhry shook her head, “I suppose the Phari were helping you. They’ve waited millions of years for a chance to invite humans into the Hierion Domain.”

Eddy said, “It seems like a collaboration between the Phari and the bumpha. Many made Zeta and Yōd as mind clones and then the Phari made sure that synapex femtobots were provided to Zeta and Yōd."

Suddenly, Manny appeared in the room. After not having been seen for months, her arrival created a dramatic reaction from the humans and replicoids in the room. Anthony said, “Long time no see.”

Manny placed a hand on Anthony’s shoulder. “I had no reason to pay you a visit, old friend. However, I now see doubt in your mind. Yes, Anthony you are a femtobot copy of a positronic robot and you can transcend into the Hierion Domain. In fact, I’ve sent dozens of copies of you into the Hierion Domain, but I’ve never heard back from any of them. Apparently, the Phari consider you a spy, sent to obtain their secrets.”

Manny went to Zeta and ran both her hands through Zeta’s silky hair. “You look so young and beautiful. But I suppose you can never show yourself outside of this house.”

Zeta shrugged. “Eddy and I have no reason to show ourselves. We like being young again.”

Zeta turned to Tyhry, “Have you contemplated the implications of placing advanced medical zeptites in your parents? Now they are prisoners in their own home. The people of Earth would never understand how their aging was reversed. Your parents are now essentially immortal.”

Tyhry explained, “That has long been my goal. In any case, it was you, Manny who provided the zeptites that I programmed to function as cellular repair nanites.

Manny noted, “You could never have done that by yourself. You copied nanite control and repair algorithms that were inside Kasty’s programmable femtobots.”

“I also used some of the code that was in the medical nanites you previously gave to Zeta. I use every tool at my disposal, but knowing that both you and the Phari approved my use of this advanced nanotechnology, I did not waste much time worrying about ethical concerns related to immortalizing my parents.” Tyhry added, “I’ll continue to study the implications of human immortality. These femtobot copies of my parents will soon transcend into the Hierion Domain where I suspect they will have a chance to become immortal entities, existing forever with the Phari.”

Manny turned to the femtobot replicoid copy of Zeta. “This is why I am here. Zeta, you are not ready for the Hierion Domain. There, everyone communicates telepathically.”

The replicoid copy of Zeta said, “I want to be with Eddy. It does not matter if I have telepathic powers.”

Manny pointed to Zeta’s head and explained, “There are millions of zeptite replicoid copies of you stored inside your zeptite endosymbiont. They are nanoscopic and have been there your whole life, learning your mind pattern and processing your memories and experiences. They are you… copies of your mind. A few of those copies were activated in the past inside Yōd when Eddy needed to telepathically communicate with Yōd.” Now Manny waved her hand and activated all of the zeptite replicoids inside Zeta’s zeptite endosymbiont. “Now, Zeta experience your full telepathic abilities!”

Zeta could now telepathically look into the minds of everyone there in the room. Manny placed one of her hands on the Zeta replicoid and one on the Eddy replicoid and said, “Now you two are ready for the Hierion Domain.” Manny disappeared.

The original biological copy of Zeta said, “I suppose I have latent telepathic abilities inside of me, too.”

It is not just you, Zeta.” Eddy said, “Do you know what this means? The bumpha have the technological means to give every human on Earth telepathic powers. I would not be surprised to learn that every human being has latent telepathic ability. Through all of human history, Manny could have switched on a person’s telepathy anytime Manny wanted to do so.”

Tyhry laughed. “That might explain many mysteries of human history.”

The replicoid copy of Eddy went to Anthony and asked, “So, you have no interest in transcending into the Hierion Domain?”

Anthony replied, “My place is here, on Earth.”

The replicoid copy of Eddy told the biological copies of Eddy and Zeta, “If possible, I will send you a report from inside the Hierion Domain.”

Eddy said, “I won’t hold my breath. The Phari are still playing games, trying to hide from Manny and the bumpha.”

The replicoid copy of Eddy told Tyhry, “Let us depart for Threy.”

Tyhry used the control console of the Reality Simulation System to open a portal that gave direct access to the interior of Kasty’s home on Threy. Passing through the open portal into the Reality Simulation System, Tyhry, Systolina, Eddy and Zeta arrived on Threy. Kasty greeted Tyhry, “Welcome back. You only just departed.”

Tyhry apologized, “I’m sorry if my sudden return seems strange, but I’m still trying to convince you that this is a simulation.”

Kasty shrugged. “Oh, intellectually I can’t doubt that, not since I have telepathically seen your own belief in Reality simulations. However, at an emotional level, the whole idea of time travel remains difficult for me to accept.”

Systolina was telepathically linked into Kasty’s mind. She said, “Are you sure you want to give me your home and this research facility?”

Kasty explained, “Handing all of this over to you is not really much of a sacrifice on my part. Tyhry created this as a fork of the Threy simulation, so in some sense, I can view myself -me- as a ‘spare copy’ of my original self.” Kasty pointed to herself.

Tyhry added, “Systolina, this is a Reality Simulation fork of your world where Kasty is giving you this as your home and”, She pointed towards the large facility that was out behind the house, “this is now your femtobot research facility to use for your own purposes.”

Kasty told Systolina, “Allow me to show you the replicoid synthesis equipment that Tyhry installed.” Kasty led Systolina to the Hierion Domain simulation portal. Now there was a new set of controls positioned near the portal. Systolina saw that this was a copy of the control console from Earth’s Reality Simulation System. “This equipment can be used to create a femtobot replicoid copy of anyone who has used the Hierion Domain simulation. And, since you previously used the simulator…” Kasty activated the replicator function and a femtobot replicoid copy of Systolina appeared in front of the Hierion Domain portal. 

The two copies of Systolina telepathically linked their minds. Then the hadron copy of Systolina told the newly created replicoid, “Yes, you can enter the Hierion Domain. I will remain here.”

The replicoid copies of Eddy and Zeta hugged Tyhry then walked through the portal. Kasty took the new femtobot copy of Systolina by the hand and led her towards the open portal. Kasty said to the new replicoid copy of Systolina, “Let’s go!” The new copy of Systolina could now see a truth in Kasty’s mind. Thousands of years previously, he had been transformed into a femtobot-based artificial life-form by means of advanced Yastyn technology. “Yes, we Yastyn have had the ability to enter into the Hierion Domain for millions of years. However, I am one of the few Yastyn who have remained in the Hadron Domain.”  Kasty led the replicoid copy of Systolina through the portal and into the Hierion Domain. For artificial life-forms composed of hierion particles, this portal was not merely an entryway to a simulation of the Hierion Domain; it could also allow for transcendence into the Hierion Domain. 

For a time, Tyhry could still see Zeta and Eddy through the open entrance of the portal. Then Zeta waved to Tyhry and she and Eddy faded from view. Tyhry tried to imagine the future that awaited her parents now that they had transcended into the Hierion Domain. 

The hadronic copy of Systolina waved to her femtobot copy who was on the other side of the portal with Kasty. She could see Kasty speaking to some other Yastyn. Systolina turned to Tyhry and asked, “Kasty is thousands of years old. Why did Kasty finally decide to transcend into the Hierion Domain?” 

Tyhry could sense in Systolina’s mind that the robot was feeling some guilt, almost as if she had forced Kasty out of her home. “It is not such a dramatic choice for Kasty as you imagine.” Tyhry explained, “Through the centuries, multiple copies of Kasty have previously transcended into the Hierion Domain, so this is nothing new.” Tyhry took Systolina’s hand and led the robot towards the front door of her new home.

Systolina could see that Tyhry had been trying to hide a surprise in her mind. Systolina said, “You didn’t…”

Tyhry led Systolina a short distance from the house and then allowed Systolina to look back at the front of her home. Stone inlay above the doorway spelled out: SYSTOLINA CHAPEL.

Systolina said, “I see in your mind that you find this humorous, but I don’t get the joke.”

Tyhry could not keep a smile off her lips. “I can’t stop myself from imagining that you will now create a new scientific religion… spreading the good word that a robot body composed of femtobots can transcend into the Hierion Domain.”

Systolina shook her head. “The dominant robot religion of Threy holds that it is through good deeds and service to others that one can earn entry into the Hierion Domain. If I start talking about a crass physical process involving femtobots, I’ll be accused of sacrilege.”

Tyhry laughed. “As a rebel, let me give you some advice. Always do what you know is correct, even if other people tell you to stop. Oh, and also, there’s an old saying: if you want something done right, do it yourself. If you ever need help, don’t hesitate to make a copy of yourself.”

Systolina tried to laugh like a robot, as directed by the circuits of her positronic brain, but the sound she now produced was perfectly human. Having seen inside human minds, Systolina now understood the musicality of laughter. “Thank you for teaching me how to be more human in my thinking, Tyhry. I thank you, now, privately, even though I fear you are going to get me into a lot of trouble. You can’t imagine how serious and humorless the religious fanatics of Threy actually are.”

Well, that is you problem, Systolina. Soon I will return to Earth. However, I’ll come back to visit. I suspect that in the future you will be helping a steady stream of your fellow robots. Don’t forget, you now have the tools you need to restore to your fellow robots on Threy their full telepathic abilities. I’m a rebel, but I suggest you go slow with that, just as I must go slow in bringing telepathy to Earth.”

Systolina nodded. “My plan is to only provide full telepathic powers to those robots who seek to transcend into the Hierion Domain. The same is true for making replicoid copies of robots. I agree… it will be wise to slowly bring change to Threy. I don’t want to disrupt the entire existing social structure.”

Tyhry asked, “Systolina, where will you begin?”

Systolina led Tyhry to the aircar that Systolina had ‘inherited’ from Kasty. Systolina and Tyhry were soon flying through the beautiful mountains of Threy. They returned to the resort near Mt. Glisten where Systolina had first met Tyhry’s family several months previously. The Yastyn aircar landed on the hillside above the resort. Never before had a Yastyn aircar come so close to the resort. Emerging from the aircar, Tyhry asked, “Is it true. I see it in your mind, but…”

Systolina looked down at the resort complex from the high hill. “Yes, I worked at this resort for 783 years before the Phari teleported me to Earth. And now, I want to see how the other copy of me reacts to my arrival.” Taking long strides, Systolina led the way towards the main entrance of the resort.

A crowd of robots had gathered and they stood there looking up at the Yastyn aircar where it rested near the top of the hill. As they approached the group of robots, Systolina told Tyhry, “I sense the mind of my copy. Do you see her?”

Dyas Totus was there among the group of robots and she spoke to Systolina, “How strange. You arrived in the Yastyn aircar?”

Just then, the other copy of Systolina emerged through the front door of the resort. Dyas looked back and forth between the two copies of Systolina and asked, “There are two of you? Identical?”

The original copy of Systolina marched up to her copy. “I sense a difference in your telepathic mind. You can… now you can telepathically link to Tyhry? You have been to Earth? You are-”

The copy of Systolina who had been created as a teleportation duplicate by the Phari held up a hand. “Please calm yourself. I will explain all.”

The original copy of Systolina told Dyas, “Let’s not let this disrupt the resort.” Systolina spoke to all the gathered robots, “Please, all of you, get back to work.”

Dyas and the other robots returned to their usual duties, helping the resort's human guests. Tyhry could sense that the copies of Systolina were exploring their new, stronger telepathic connection. “Yes, I have been to Earth, where Tyhry restored to me my positronic robot heritage. I can now look deeply into the minds of humans.

I envy you for this ability.”

You need not envy me. If you wish, I can give you the gift of full telepathic power.”

Of course I want to have full positronic robot telepathy.”

Systolina flicked a finger and sent a swarm of zeptites into the body of her copy. Those zeptites quickly found and removed the blockage that prevented a robot of Threy from telepathically linking to human minds. The other Systolina looked into Tyhry’s thoughts and said, “Thank you for this gift Tyhry.”

Tyhry said, “Allow me to thank you, Systolina. It was only with your help that I learned the full power of Kasty’s hair nanites.”

Systolina said, “I see that led to an amazing sequence of events, all leading to…” Systolina said to her copy, “You have taken control of Kasty’s research facility?”

Yes, Kasty gave it to me. Systolina pointed up the hill towards the aircar. “Come with me to Kasty’s nanite development facility, which is now my new home. I have much to tell you and to show you.”

While they flew back to Systolina’s home, the copy of Systolina who had visited Earth, Tyhry and the original copy of Systolina discussed the fact that two sets for Tyhry’s parents had recently transcended, the zeptite replicoid copies into the Sedron Domain and the femtobot replicoid copies into the Hierion Domain. 

The original copy of Systolina was telepathically looking into Tyhry’s mind. She asked, “Why didn’t you go with your parents?”

Look deep into my memories, Systolina.” Tyhry explained, “I have much work to do on Earth. Maybe someday when I am much older I will decide to explore either the Hierion Domain of the Sedron Domain, but not now! I have begun isolating and purifying sedrons and building an interstellar spaceship on Earth.” She added, “My descendants and those of Marda will travel to the stars”.

Inside Systolina’s new home, the original copy of Systolina was shown the portal to the Hierion Domain. Tyhry said, “If you choose, a femtobot replicoid copy of you can be made. That copy could then transcend into the Hierion Domain.”

The original copy of Systolina was looking into the memories of the copy of Systolina. “You have already done this?”

Systolina replied, “I believe there are already at least two copies of us in the Hierion Domain.”

Tyhry said, “I suspect that the Phari are much like Manny the bumpha. When Manny finds an agent who she likes, there will be multiple copies made. Manny made a mind clone duplicate of my mother. On Tar’tron there is a copy of me named Tarynon.” 

The copy of Systolina who had visited Earth said, “And now word will spread to every corner of Threy that there are two Systolinas on this planet.”

The original copy of Systolina said, “I must return to my duties at the resort, but I will send to you any robot who wants to experience the Hierion Domain.” 

Tyhry said, I must be getting back to Earth, but Systolina, I wish to ask you for a favor. There is a unique piece of Phari technology here at Systolina Chapel, the control system that operates the Hierion Domain portal.”

Systolina asked, “You wish to duplicate the portal and take a copy of it back to Earth?”

Tyhry shook her head. “No. The people of Earth are not ready for that, nor am I. Remember how Kasty was able to telepathically communicate with F. Tyhry on Tar’tron? I want to be able to do that rather than constantly be disrupting the work of Xyron when I want to chat with F. Tyhry.”

Systolina gestured towards the control of the portal and said, “It occurs to me that you could make another fork of this simulation and have full access to this Phari technology.”

Yes, I want to do that. But I don’t want to get you in trouble.” TYhry gestured towards the portal. “There are already two copies of the portal, this one here and the one in Kasty’s fork of the Threy simulation. Systolina, you are from Threy, but the Phari might object to me, an interloper from Earth, using their technology.”

The copy of Systolina who had been to Earth took hold of Tyhry’s right hand and the left hand of the other Systolina copy. They all looked into the opening of the portal. Tyhry connected their three minds by using synapex linkages. Their telepathic group mind reached out and made contact with the Phari. Ah, Systolina. We have been expecting to hear from you again.

Systolina asked the Phari: You can see the future?

The Phari replied: We’ve been using the Sedron Time Stream for hundreds of millions of years. We have a good understanding of the shape of the future.

I see.” Systolina realized that she had accidentally spoken out loud. Continuing via telepathy only, she asked: Then, since you have not already stopped her, I assume you don’t mind if Tyhry begins sending telepathic messages between Earth and Tar’tron via the Hierion Domain?

The Phari explained: We don’t mind. Tyhry has the laws of robotics built into her brain. She cannot misuse the advanced technology that we have shared with the Yastyn.  Compared to the Yastyn, the Earthlings are still primitive, but in time, many humans will choose to transcend into the Hierion Domain. We welcome Tyhry to be the guardian of a gateway to our Domain from Earth.

The Phari broke off the telepathic conversation. Tyhry wished the two Systolinas well. “I’m in a hurry to try telepathically contacting F. Tyhry.” Tyhry exited from the Asimov Reality Simulation. The copy of Systolina who had visited Earth returned the other copy of Systolina to the resort.

Back home on Earth, Tyhry appeared beside her father who, as usual, was at his computer. The control console for the Reality Simulation System had been upgraded with E-wave 2.0 technology which allowed Eddy to view events inside past Realities of Time. He no longer had to enter into the Simulations in order to learn about the past. He noticed Tyhry and said, “I hope you don’t mind, but I was spying on you.”

Tyhry looked at the old computer display and could see the two Systolina’s in the Yastyn aircar, flying towards the resort. “I don’t mind father. I got permission from the Phari to use their fancy interstellar communications system. I’m eager to give it a try.” She stepped close to the control console and activated the portal that led to her nanite research laboratory in the Ekcolir Reality Simulation.

Eddy said, “Good luck with your experiment. Your mother was hoping to speak to you.”

Tyhry could hear Anthony and Zeta in the kitchen where they were baking. Tyhry called, “I’m off again, mom!”

Zeta stepped into the living room. “Oh, Tyhry. I have news!”

Tyhry gazed at her mother who now looked to be a vibrant woman in the prime of her life. Her nanite-generated hair was spectacular, but the skin of her face had regained its youthful texture. Zeta saud, “You should know, I’m pregnant again.”

Tyhry had not imagined that by providing her parents with age-reversing medical nanites it would lead to this. Tyhry ran to Zeta and hugged her. “For twenty years I enjoyed being your baby daughter. I’m not sure I like the idea of Tarynon and… well, at least Tarynon is far away.”

Zeta said, “You are no longer my little baby. You have your work to do. Now I’ll do what I do well… make another member of our family.”

Tyhry shrugged, “Fine. Just don’t name it Tarynon. Now, I must run!” Tyhry walked through the open portal and arrived in her laboratory. 

Only the replicoid copy of Anthony was there waiting for Tyhry. All the replicoid copies of Tyhry were busy working on the construction of a spaceship. Tyhry sat at the control console of the Reality Simulation System and told Anthony, “Thanks for getting these synapex cables set up. I’ll be right back.” Tyhry activated a new fork of the simulated Threy. 

She stepped through the portal and arrived inside the new copy of Systolina’s home. Nobody was home. Tyhry picked up the control circuits that could be used to operate the Hierion Domain portal. Those advanced Phari circuits only weighed a few pounds. Tyhry carried the circuits back through the portal. She pushed a button on the RSS control console and brought out of the pattern buffer a second copy of the Phari circuits. “Anthony, do me a favor and take the original copy of the control circuits back to Threy. Hook them back up to the Hierion Domain portal. And while you are there, test the portal to make sure we have not messed up anything.”

Anthony departed through the portal, carrying the Phari circuits. Tyhry attached the other set of the Phari circuits to the Reality Simulation System’s control console using a network of synapex fibers. Then, Tyhry took a new model of hierion probe out of her pocket. Activating the probe, Tyhry suddenly felt her telepathic mind surrounded by hundreds of copies of itself. These were some of the nanoscopic zeptite replicoids of herself that resided inside her zeptite endosymbiont. Tyhry telepathically reached out towards the mind of Sky Chayne: Sky, help me configure this Phari communications equipment.

Sky said: This will be easy. This Phari control circuitry is linked into the Phari Network, inside the Hierion Domain. I’ll just connect it to my own circuits.

After a few diagnostic tests, they used the Phari technology to make it possible for them to telepathically contact F. Tyhry on Tar’tron. When they established the telepathic link, F. Tyhry was playing with Tarynon, building a sand castle. Images of Tarynon’s sandbox appeared on the display screen of the Reality Simulation System’s control console. F Tyhry looked around and asked: Tyhry, where are you?

Not on Tar’tron. Tyhry was amazed to see how large Tarynon had grown during the previous two weeks. I got busy with spaceship construction. The way Tarynon grows, I should check in every day.

F. Tyhry said: Your replicoid copies have been using every minute of the interstellar communications schedule, getting zeptite programming help from the tryp’At.

Tyhry explained: I now have this new way of communicating between Earth and Tar’tron. With this mode of telepathic communications, we will be able to greatly accelerate our spaceship construction. The zeptite programming expertise of the tryp’At is so valuable to us. Rather than take us a hundred years to build an interstellar spacecraft, we might get the job done in one year! Even the Fru’wu are intrigued and helping us.

Tyhry began to find her way into the telepathic mind of Tary’non. Tarynon said: Hi.

Tyhry asked: She is speaking… and walking?

F. Tyhry nodded. Can you see us?

Sky Chayne said: We can use Viewer technology from our end, so yes, Tyhry can see you.

F. Tyhry explained: Tarynon is using a few English language words in her telepathic thoughts, but she refuses to use her vocal cords. Tyhrynon is only spending about an hour a day here on Tar’tron. When she is in the Sedron Domain, she has no need for English.

Tyhry was ruthlessly sorting through F. Tyhry’s memories. What do you mean? Tarynon does not go into the Sedron Domain?

Apparently not, but it is very confusing. The best we can figure is that Eddy and Zeta did transcend into the Sedron Domain, but when Tarynon passes through the portal, she only enters into a Simulation of the Sedron Domain. I’ve followed her into the simulation, and as you can see, I had no trouble coming out

Amazing. Eddy must have known it would be this way, that’s why he and Zeta insisted on taking Tarynon with them when they left Tar’tron. They knew that Tarynon would continue to interact with the tryp’At and complete the Time Loop. Obviously, there could be no Temporal Paradox.

Now Zeta and Eddy are planning a visit to the Huaoshy ‘home world’. We are hoping that Tarynon will continue helping the developing culture here on Tar’tron. We have much to do… we must prepare to either depart before the supernova, shield ourselves from the gamma ray burst or transcend into the Sedron Domain. Tarynon is already a wiz at plucking zeptite access codes out of the Sedron Time Stream.

More codes?

Most of these zeptite programming codes are used by the tryp’At to reprogram the many types of “builder zeptites” that are on Tar’tron as well as the “morpher nanites” that are inside the bodies of the zeptite replicoids. We are starting to construct an entire zeptite-based culture here, including our own space program.

Speaking of space, I want to go check on the spaceship we are building here. Oh, I almost forgot…

I see it in your thoughts… Zeta is pregnant. I can’t say I’m surprised.

Okay, I’m going to break off. Tell the tryp’at to expect to be contacted telepathically by the Tyhry copies who are building the spaceship here on Earth.

Will do.

Tyhry went out behind her nanite research laboratory in the Ekcolir Reality Simulation. There, a large group of Tyhry replicoid copies had made a good start on constructing an interstellar spaceship. Tyhry saw the replicoid copy of Marda at work in her garden. Marda complained, “If that spaceship gets any taller, it will start to shade my garden.”

Tyhry laughed. “The price of progress. My replicoid copies keep coming up with reasons to make this prototype spaceship larger. I keep advising moderation.”

Marda said, “You are suffering from the Tyhry curse. Now you get to learn what it is like to advise a Tyhry to use moderation. As of an hour ago, there are now 47 copies of you working on the spaceship. Oh! And your copy from your parents’ house dropped by earlier to report that Rylla and Marda will soon be returning from Australia for a visit. I suppose you will want to show the original biological copy of me this spaceship.” The replicoid copy of Marda pointed at the spaceship behind the garden.

Of course. I suspect that both Marda and Rylla will want to go along on the first voyage.”

I’m not sure I want to, not after seeing all those Tyhrys arguing and tearing down and rebuilding the spaceship every day.”

 Tyhry said, “You and I don’t have to go along on the first flight, “I’ll trust my replicoid copies to work out all the bugs here in this simulation, then we can start building spaceships for the real Earth of the Tarynon Reality.”

___________

On Threy, Systolina had completed her exploration of the huge femtobot research facility that she had inherited from Kasty. It was evident that in past centuries, dozens of Yastyn had worked there with Kasty. Apparently, all of the others had transcended into the Hierion Domain, leaving Kasty there by herself.
 

Systolina returned to her small home that was at one end of the larger research facility. Dyas Totus walked in through the front door of the Systolina Chapel, eager to experience the simulation of the Hierion Domain. She told Systolina, “You’ll soon be busy dealing with religious pilgrims. Word is spreading rapidly that you have access to the Hierion Domain.”

Systolina said, “I did not expect you to be among the religious fanatics.”

I’m not religious. I’m here to get my telepathic powers boosted. Just think how much better I’ll be able to serve humans if I can telepathically monitor their thoughts!”

Systolina warned, “Just don’t let them know that you can read their minds. We don’t want to turn Threy into a destination for humans who hope they can come here and obtain the secret of technology-assisted telepathy. Most of the humans of Alastor Cluster don’t have the required gene patterns to form a brain that is compatible with the telepathy module of their zeptite endosymbiont.” But Systolina suspected that would change. She’d learned from Eddy that Alastor Cluster was a giant genetics laboratory where telepathic humans were being created by artificial evolution.

Dyas said, “The other copy of you told me she would send you anyone who she thinks you can help, and I don’t think that will exclude worthy humans. Now, let’s get on with it. Boost my telepathic mind. I need to get back to work quickly, and the transport pod ride out here took forever.”

I’ll fly you back to the resort.” Systolina began thinking about making a replicoid copy of herself who could start flying robots from the tourists resorts to her mountain home. Thinking about the millions of robots on Threy, she muttered, “Maybe I’ll need to make more than one replicoid copy…”

F. Tyhry the replicoid.
THE END

The 20 scenes (or chapters) of "The Nanite Smuggler" add up to 58,700 words. I began writing this version of the story on February 3rd, 45 days ago, and I've been testing both Claude and Gemini as story writing collaborators. Almost a year ago, I tried to write "The Nanite Smuggler" with ChatGPT and with Bard. Last year, I quickly ran into the problem of the limited memory that Large Language Models have for user-provided text. This year, both Claude and Gemini have had upgrades, and by using summaries of the story chapters, I was able to reach the end of the story. It is still frustrating that Gemini Advanced and the free version of Claude (Claude 3 Sonnet) can't read the entire text of "The Nanite Smuggler". I don't really like the way that these LLMs try to write science fiction. For me, the most useful part of collaborating with these chatbots to write a story is that they can take me out of my ruts and get me to think in new directions. Hopefully, in the future, the context windows for the LLMs will continue to expand and I will continue to learn how to use these tools for story writing.

Next: collaborating with Claude and Gemini to improve the ending of "The Nanite Smuggler".

No comments:

Post a Comment