Oct 8, 2020

500k Pageviews

500,000 pageviews for the wikifiction blog
Back in February of 2019 I blogged about an arbitrary numerical milestone for the wikifiction blog and here I go again...

500,000
Google serves up about 125 wikifiction blog pages each day. I try to keep the Blogger settings arranged so that my own page requests are not counted. I know that some fraction of the total counted visits to this blog are my own, but I suspect that is only a small percentage.

The Blogger setting used to prevent inclusion
of my own pageviews in the stats.
The other pageviews that should not be counted are those due to the activity of spam bots. I assume that when this blog gets a higher than average number of pageviews on any given day (as often happened in 2017), many of those are not due to actual humans. However, I imagine that most of the pageviews during the past few years have been humans, most of whom performed a search of the internet and found a link to my blog.

Comments left at the wikifiction blog by spam bots.

I just searched for images using the term "wiki fiction". Three of the top four hits are images from this blog, including the banner. That reminds me that I need to perform a banner update.

It is hard for me to imagine why those three particular images were so highly favored by Google's search algorithm.

Lorn-Kru
Google's search engine is haunted. One of the alien creatures that I invented is Lorn-Kru. The oldest version of my illustration for Lorn-Kru that I can find on my computer dates from 2008. So, why should any search engine running here in 2020 label that image of Lorn-Kru as "5 days ago"?

I don't make any effort to do search engine optimization, but I do include many images in by blog posts and I suspect that a significant number of people are led to this blog when they are surfing the net and happen to find one of my imaginary book or magazine covers. Related Reading: Google Photo Albums.

Rank
search results for "hierion sedron"
Anytime when I have an image or a story on both the wikifiction blog and some other website, a Goggle web search will always list the other website first.

This blog is full of the terms hierion and sedron, but other websites that contain those terms always appear first in Google search results. I'm continually surprised that Google does not do a better job promoting Blogger blogs.

On a day-by-day basis, the wikifiction blog posts that usually get the most visits are recent ones, but one of the long-time favorite pages is Cambridge Computing, from 2013. It always bothers me that a page with only a story fragment is so popular.

list of recently-visited pages (old format)
Someday I'll have to finish writing that story. However, the first rule here at the wikifiction blog is that fun is number one. I only write because I'm having fun with a story. If finishing a story begins to feel like work then I'm going to drop it and move on to something else that seems more interesting at that moment.

I do sometimes return to an interrupted story after years have passed, but not out of some sense of duty, not with any feeling that I must finish an incomplete tale.
 
New Blogger
new format list of recently-visited pages
With the new Blogger interface, here is what the list of most-visited pages now looks like (image to the right). 

An imaginary book cover (source)
appearing in Google image search
results for "Cambridge Computing"
My best guess is that Cambridge Computing gets a steady stream of visitors because of the image shown to the left. This blog contains many imaginary book and magazine covers and they sometimes show up in Google image searches.

Imaginary Covers
a top cover image

The image shown to the right seems to be one of the imaginary book covers from this blog that is most likely to appear in internet search results.

500,000 page views
I generally end each blog post by linking to a gallery of book and magazine covers. I hope that fans of science fiction who visit this blog enjoy these cover illustrations for imaginary books and magazines (and there are a few images for imaginary movies).

Visit the Gallery of Book and Magazine Covers


No comments:

Post a Comment