Aug 20, 2017

Tweet 1500

Tweet 1500. John on Twitter.
In general, I compose just 1 tweet for each of my blog posts, so it has taken me many years to reach 1,500 tweets. I'm glad tweet 1,500 was related to the fiction of Jack Vance. For the Exode Saga, I pretend that the events in stories such as The Palace of Love actually took place in the Asimov Reality.

Adopting that assumption provides me with an excuse to obsessively examine every small detail in Vance's stories. I can imagine that Vance provided us with clues about the alien creatures that populate the nearby exoplanets of our galaxy: worlds such as Sogdian.

500
500 images tweeted: June 2016
I like to include an image with each tweet. Back in June of 2016 I celebrated image #500. I blogged about my first tweeted image back in 2014.

Looking back through my blog posts about Twitter, I see that it has been a year and a half since the "good folks" at Twitter started monkeying with my timeline. I still have to occasionally try to over-ride their meddling with the sequence of tweets that I see. It is one of those unavoidable little annoyances of life.

I recently saw a rumor suggesting that the owners of Twitter might sell out to the users of Twitter and that sounded like an interesting idea. If I owned a piece of Twitter, I'd vote to give users the option of a linear timeline, untouched by all the timeline monkey business that I've been subjected to for the past year and a half.

Realistically, it seems more likely that Twitter will simply go away. I never understood how they expected to make a profit.

1,000 tweets

1,000
I reached tweet 1,000 just about exactly 2 years ago. At that time, I had only designated 47 tweets by others as "favorites". At that time, I resolved to be more generous, and now I have 180 tweets that I have "favored" and "liked".

I suspect that part of Twitter's problem is that many of its users are like me, spending only a few minutes each day using the service. Will Twitter survive to 2019?

Related: the end of Twitter.

Future Twitter

Visit the Gallery of Book and Magazine Covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment