Oct 18, 2019

Moudervelt Mystery

Sene Prekus on Alphanor.
In my previous blog post, Wendy discovered the fate of poor Pallis Atwrode on the Planet of the Dryads. Now Wendy must investigate a mystery from Nova's past; doing so might possibly provide an explanation for why Nova has the most powerful and sophisticated telepathic abilities of any human. Starting from Avente on Alphanor, Wendy must make a trip through interstellar space in search of Nova's mysterious origins on the planet Moudervelt.

"The Maunish Mystery", below is part 7 of Wendy's adventure inside the AR Simulator. Part 1 is here.

Note: the following story is fan-fiction. You should read Star King by Jack Vance before trying to read about Wendy's adventures in the Asimov Reality. Moudervelt is described in Vance's novel The Book of Dreams.


The Maunish Mystery
Wendy woke up in a strange bed with the relentless early morning light of Rigel slipping past the window curtains. Stretching her legs under the covers, she noticed that her physical form no longer had the extreme length of Nova's long, lank body. It took a few moments of exploring her new body before Wendy realized that she was back in the body of Inspector Wishwell. Wendy deduced that Grean must have performed the body swap while Wendy had slept, possibly without even bothering to take Wendy out of the AR Simulator. Struggling to remember falling asleep, Wendy discovered that she had a new set of memories, apparently implanted in her mind during the night.

Wendy had dream-like memories of playing the role of Inspector Wishwell and waiting for Nova to arrive. In that oddly-remembered past, Wendy had listened to Nova tell about the Death of Pallis Atwrode on the Planet of the Dryads. Nova had then told Ryjyl about her telepathic abilities and her belief that the entire Malagate affair, beginning with Lugo Teehalt's discovery of the Planet of the Dryads, actually had it origins on Nova's home world, Moudervelt. Nova had told Ryjyl, "The Dryads gave me a gift and awoke a special memory from my childhood; that allowed me to understand the importance of Pure Truth. If you want to honor Pallis and the way she gave her life trying to capture Attel Malagate, then we need to continue the investigation of Kate's death on Moudervelt."

Wendy had asked Nova to explain what she meant by 'Pure Truth', but she had already made up her own mind about the importance of going to Moudervelt. Or, stated more accurately, the Dryads had already taken action so as to assure that Wendy knew the importance of Moudervelt.

Wendy decided that Grean must have reset the AR Simulator in preparation for a new mission. However, no mission briefing with Grean was required because Wendy already knew what must be done. Wendy threw off the covers, got out of Inspector Wishwell's bed and quickly pulled on a pair of shorts. Not having the patience to dress fully, Wendy made her way down to the first floor, Ryjyl's breasts bouncing with each step down the stairway. There was Nova, still asleep on the sofa... the empty wine bottle was there, too.

Wendy used Ryjyl's discree to contact the Iskana Salvage Yard in South Lychester and told them to hold Gersen's model 9b as police evidence. As Wendy talked, Nova awoke and sat up. Slipping the discree into her pocket, Wendy asked Nova, "Are you ready to go?"

Nova stretched her long arms above her head, gazed upon Ryjyl's muscular body and replied, "Give me one minute." Both Wendy and Nova emptied their bladders then they each packed a bag full of Ryjyl's clothing. Wendy was annoyed to find that she seemed fully in biological mode, the AR Simulator even giving her hunger pangs that Wendy was powerless to ignore.

Wendy packed Ryjyl's police equipment, but she dressed in civilian clothes. For a brief moment she wondered if she should truly play the role of Inspector Wishwell and request permission from her supervisor to leave Alphanor and visit Moudervelt, but then she told herself: no, there is no need. Grean will simply reset the Simulator once again when I complete my mission.

On the drive to South Lychester, Nova kept pointing out every restaurant that they passed. Finally Wendy stopped and they ate breakfast at a little roadhouse and eatery called the Halcyon Inn. An hour later, Ryjyl/Wendy and Nova lifted off Alphanor in Gersen's old model 9b spaceship. Wendy set course for Moudervelt, the inhabited planet that orbited around Van Kaathe's star.

During the trip to Moudervelt, Wendy discovered that she had minimal control over her nanites. With regularity she grew hungry and tired, just like a normal human. This was Wendy's first chance to experience the tedium of a long space flight, and it was made more challenging by having to share with Nova the one small bed that was onboard.

the Pure Truth Convent, Rock-Wallows district of Maunish
On the long flight to Moudervelt, Nova talked about her childhood and her family. "My mother was born in the Rock-Wallow Convent and lived there for many years."

Wendy/Ryjil asked, "You grew up in a convent?"

"No, but my mother always talked about it. The convent was on the original site of the first Pure Truth Mission in Maunish. The old Mission was built on land that nobody could farm, out in the Rock-Wallows."

Ryjyl asked, "Maunish?"

"Maunish is a province on Moudervelt... that is where I was born. I grew up in Cloutie, the capitol of Maunish. Sene (my mother) had moved there after leaving the Pure Truth Convent."

"What did they mean by 'Pure Truth'?"

Nova explained, "I'm not an expert on their beliefs. Everything I know comes from things that my mother would say about her early life inside the convent. Their Basic Truth was that people can be improved by artificial selection, just like breeding a type of cow that can produce more milk. To this day, the people of Maunish are unusually tall, but I suspect that the real goal was to select for improved telepathic ability."

source
Wendy thought about Teehalt and his little telepath breeding project on Alphanor. She asked Nova, "How did you hear about Teehalt?"

Nova explained, "After I was rescued from Dasce's prison, Gersen took me back into space. We went in search of the Planet of the Dryads, the world that Teehalt had discovered. Gersen showed me a photograph of an alien Dryad and told me how he had met Teehalt on Smade's Planet." Nova fell silent and thought about her visit to Teehalt's Planet. "Teehalt was all alone with the Dryads. I wonder what they did to his mind and memories."

Wendy suggested, "If all the Dryads wanted was to protect their world from human and Star King encroachment, they could have killed Teehalt."

Nova shook her head. "No, Malagate was relentless. Had Teehalt never returned from the Beyond, some other locater would have followed. And besides, I don't believe that the Dryads know how to kill."

Wendy thought about her own telepathic contact with the Dryads. She had the feeling that there was something like human thought within the Dryads, but they were aliens, with strange minds. Wendy asked Nova, "When Pallis died, could you see what was happening to her?"

Nova shrugged. "The Dryads were allowing me to remotely view both Malagate and Pallis. I had three overlapping images in my mind, something I'd never experienced previously. There, in the river, there was some kind of creature... I never saw it clearly. I got the impression of a squid-like beast... a pack of them. Then I blacked out. Gersen told me that he only found parts of Malagate and Pallis... an arm, a leg... it looked like they had been ripped apart."

Wendy asked, "Did you see the alien ruins there in that valley?"

Nova nodded and asked suspiciously. "How do you know about that?"

Wendy lied: "After Kate was murdered, when I interrogated Gersen on Alphanor, he told me about Teehalt and his visit to the planet of the Dryads. Teehalt knew there were the ruins of an ancient civilization on that world."

Nova suggested, "Long ago, the Dryads may have lived in cities and been more like humans. Eventually, they gave all that up and now they endlessly wander the meadows, seamlessly integrated into the life cycles of their world."

Wendy suggested, "If the Dryads once had advanced technology, then maybe their telepathic powers are artificial, generated by some kind of alien technology."

R. Nyrtia and R. Oliveene Nhevrix
"Yes. I think that's what the Dryads saw in my mind. They reminded me about what my mother had told me when I was a small child. Sene told me that she was an artificial construct, created by Arahluv, the scientist in charge of the telepathy breeding efforts at the Maunish convent."

Wendy was tempted to tell Nova that she was an artificial life form, but at least so far in this run of the AR Simulator, Nova seemed not to have noticed that Wendy/Ryjyl was not an actual biological human. Wendy asked, "What do you mean? How was your mother constructed?"

"I don't know. I don't recall that I ever really knew. I was very young when Sene spoke about her origins and her life at the convent. Somehow it involved a kind of genetic engineering. And more importantly, her growth and development had been adjusted by means of exposing her embryonic body to chemicals and growth modulatory drugs. Sene told me that she had no father, that her chromosomes were artificially assembled using DNA from dozens of people at the convent."

"Why did Sene leave the convent?"

"I'm not sure. She often talked to me about leaving Moudervelt for a time in order to pursue her interests in astronomy. Eventually, after visiting other worlds, she returned to Maunish, but not to the convent. She lived in Cloutie and that was where I was born, but I always knew that I would some day leave Moudervelt. That was implicit in everything that Sene ever told me... that I would go to school on Alphanor. I never knew why, I never questioned that. It seemed like a great adventure, an escape from sleepy Cloutie. When I arrived on Alphanor, I soon met Kate and I felt like I was living a dream. Kate and I were perfect together." Nova asked Wendy, "Did you ever feel like you had met your soul mate?"

Wendy decided to speak for Ryjyl, "I was very happy during the few months when I lived with Pallis. Our mutual attraction was intense and we were caught up in the flames of passion. However, we quickly burned out. When living together, everything about us was too hot, too fast and too... dangerous. We had to back off, and cool down. We remained great friends and it was always in my mind that the old flame could engulf us again, at any time. It seems absurd that Pallis had to die on the Planet of the Dryads."

The next day, the Intersplit drive shut down and they were in the Van Kaathe star system. Blue, green and white Moudervelt hung before them. Wendy and Nova watched Moudervelt turning slowly in the viewport of the old model 9b spaceship. Nova told Wendy, "There are no spaceports in Maunish. Air travel is forbidden, but there is plenty of empty land where nobody would notice our arrival. We can drop down into the Rock-Wallows and then approach the convent by ground. We can use Gersen's little flitter. The travel rules of Maunish simply forbid any flight above fifty feet off the ground."

"That's bizzare."

"Remnants from an ancient war. A thousand years ago when Moudervelt was first settled, Lord Puck attacked Maunish with his air force. According to legend, within the first minute after invading Maunish, Puck lost half his aircraft, blown out of the sky by particle beams. Ever since, no local dares go more than 50 feet off the ground."

Wendy said, "I'd prefer not do be blasted out of the sky by a particle beam."

Nova laughed. "It is all legend and superstition."

They landed in the middle of the night in the desolate Rock-Wallows, ten miles from the Convent. Looking at the displayed data from external weather probe, Wendy said, "It is chilly outside." Wendy and Nova put on heavy jackets then went outside and opened the cargo hatch. Small, darting animals lurked near the spaceship, their eyes glowing in the bright light that flooded from the cargo hold.

Wendy and Nova pulled out Gersen's little aircar and then sealed shut all the hatches of the old 9b. They loaded their two travel bags into the flitter, and set off into the night, flying just high enough to avoid the crags of rock that protruded above the grassy steppe. While they skimmed over the landscape, Wendy could occasionally see the glowing eyes of small animals who reared up on their hind legs and watched the passing flitter. An hour later, the lights of the Pure Truth Convent glowed ahead. Wendy asked, "Should we wait for morning?"

Nova was using her telepathic sense to look into the convent. "Someone is awake, but the mind I am touching is strange. She knows I am here! We can go in. She is waiting for us."

"She? Who is it?"

"Arahluv, the Chief Scientist. Somehow, she knew we were coming."

Wendy flew them forward along a river bed, then up a rise. Nova said, "Land on the roof. There, see the glow of the landing beacon?"

Wendy took them up to the top of the convent, following a row of blinking guide lights. She set the aircar down on the landing plat, at the center of a glowing circle that marked the rooftop landing platform. In the star light, mostly lit from below by the landing lights, a ghostly figure could be seen, rising up out of a recessed stair well. Oliveene called out, "Welcome."

Wendy and Nova climbed out of the aircar. Oliveene threw her arms around Nova. "My, you have grown, Nova. Do you remember me?"

"Yes, I do Arahluv." Nova reached into the aircar and pulled out the two travel bags.

Oliveene took both bags and turned towards the stairs. "Come on inside."

Wendy and Nova followed Oliveene down the stairs and into a well-lit corridor. Two doors opened and Oliveene set the travel bags down. "These are your rooms. My room is down at the end of the hallway. Come talk to me when you are ready." Oliveene turned and walked away down the corridor. Nova told Wendy, "Arahluv is exactly how I remember her from twenty years ago. When I was young she would often come to Cloutie and visit my mother."

Wendy took off her jacket and set it and her travel bag inside her room, which was like a hotel suite. She emptied her bladder and met Nova back in the hallway. Wondering what they were getting into, Wendy instinctively launched a nanite probe. After the probe went down the corridor and into Oliveen's room, Wendy wondered why she suddenly now had the ability to use her nanite reconnaissance probes. She told Nova, "Oliveen seems to be alone."

Nova had just discovered that she could use her remote viewing ability to probe the entire convent. "Yes, but there are others nearby on the floors below." They walked to the far end of the corridor and entered into a large room that was full of strange pieces of equipment. Wendy was reminded of Grean's workshop. Oliveene was there, seated in a chair. "Join me here, by the Viewer."

Wendy and Nova sat down together on a little couch. Oliveene said, "Introductions are needed. Nova, your invented name 'Arahluv' is a good guess, but your mother knew me as Olive. My full name is R. Oliveene Nhevrix."

Wendy asked, "You are a positronic robot?"

Oliveene nodded. "Don't be surprised, Wendy. We robots have existed in every Reality. Why did you not expect to run into any robots here in what you think of as the Asimov Reality?"

Wendy shrugged. "You are a telepathic robot. You can see into my memories."

"Exactly, and I see in your mind that you are feeling guilty. You have never told Nova the truth. So, please introduce yourself properly to Nova."

Wendy told Nova, "My name is Wendy Larsen. I'm from another place, beyond this simulation of your Reality."

Nova looked carefully at Wendy and then at Oliveene. "Now that I look carefully, I see that you are both artificial life forms. You both were designed to look human, but neither of you is biological."

Wendy explained, "I'm an observer from another Reality. I was put here, inside this simulator in order to learn how Lugo Teehalt was able to discover the Planet of the Dryads."

"So, you see, my dear, Wendy and I are simple cases, easily explained. I make use of a female human body form simply because the original human brain template for positronic brains came from a human woman." Oliveene pointed at Nova. "However, your background is a rather tangled mess."

Nova objected, "Simple? What is a positronic robot?" She turned her head and asked Wendy, "What happened to the real Ryjyl?"

Wendy tried to explain how she was playing the role of Inspector Wishwell. "I'm temporarily taking the place of Ryjyl. When I am done with my mission, I will go back to my Reality and all will return to normal here in the AR Simulation."

Nova complained, "Why didn't you tell me?"

Oliveene replied for Wendy, "Don't be too critical of Wendy. Even now you can't really believe what she has told you. Humans do not like to hear that they exist in an artificial world. As for myself, you should not be surprised that I appear unchanged from your childhood memory of me. My body does not age like a human body, but I can change my physical form, when I must. Sometimes I pretend to age and grow old. Watch this!" Oliveene morphed herself into a replica of Kate Prekus. Oliveene told Nova, "I'm sorry that Kate got caught up in Malagate's misguided plan." Oliveene shifted back to her original body form. She told Wendy, "You should stop pretending to be Ryjyl and use your true form."

During the space flight to Moudervelt, Wendy had given up trying to control her nanite components, but now she discovered that she had the ability to control all of her nanites. She morphed into her favorite shape, what she thought of as the true image of Wendy Larsen. She asked Oliveene, "Why is that I have regained my ability to control my nanites? I was completely helpless on the journey from Alphanor to Moudervelt."

Oliveene explained, "Moudervelt is an artificial planet, a Phari world. The Phari developed advanced nanotechnology billions of years ago. While you are operating within the Phari Network, the Simulator can be made to allow you to exercise your usual control over your nanoscopic body components. Apparently the Phari approve of your mission and are trying to help you as best they can."

Wendy asked Oliveene, "So, you are aware that this is a Simulation?"

The robot smiled and replied, "Sometimes I am taken out of the Simulator and I get to visit with R. Nyrtia. She has explained to me the fact that I exist within a simulation."

Wendy complained, "If the Phari are trying to be nice to me, why did they allow Nova and I to suffer so much in Dasce's prison?"

Oliveene shrugged. "Dasce's planet is not part of the Phari Network. It is not even part of the Pek Network. Apparently the Phari cannot protect you from harm and suffering when you are out of network." Oliveene turned her attention back to Nova and said, "The deep mystery is Nova's unusual past. I hope you realize how special your mother was, Nova."

Nova thought back to her childhood days. "She was a wonderful mother. Sene always took good care of me. My childhood was very happy."

"Yes, you were a lucky girl. Sene had a kind of telepathic 'intuition' that allowed her to anticipate your every need. Also, I often provided her with helpful hints from the future."

Wendy exclaimed, "Of course! You have access to time travel technology."

Oliveene turned her attention to the equipment that was there beside her. She activated the Viewer and an image of Nova speaking to an older woman appeared. Nova shouted out, "Mother!"

Oliveene explained to Nova, "This is an image from the future. Later today I'll take you into Cloutie and you can visit your mother."

Nova sprang to her feet and approached the displayed image of Sene. She reached out and her hand merged into the holographic display. Nova lamented, "But I was told she died, years ago!"

Oliveene said, "That was a lie. We did not want you distracted from your mission on Alphanor. You had to keep your attention on Kate and her research work in Galactic Morphology."

"I see." Nova thought about the thrilling months after having met Kate on Alphanor. "After meeting Kate, I soon began planning a trip for us, back here to Moudervelt. I wanted Sene to meet Kate."

Oliveene stood beside Nova and put an arm around the young woman's shoulders, "And that I could not allow. Kate had telepathic powers; she was an Intuitive, just like Sene. If the three of you had ever met face-to-face, Kate would have instantly noticed that you have the ability to link their two minds together. Of course, Sene knew all about that. She was making use of your three-way telepathic network, but we could not afford to let Kate in on the secret. Doing so would have revealed Kate's role as our mole inside the Galactic Mapping Project."

Wendy asked Oliveene, "What do you mean by 'Intuitive'?"

Oliveene pointed towards the image of Sene. "That is what Sene called herself. I call the human telepaths that I have created 'linkers', or 'link telepaths'. Humans can only generate powerful telepathic forces when many human brains are linked together in a network. However, while growing up, Sene displayed amazing telepathic abilities. With help from the Phari Network, Sene could sense the most important thought inside people's minds. I worked closely with her when she was young, and she could even see in my mind the idea that humans were crafted long ago by aliens. Sene latched on to that revelation and became intrigued by SETI and how, during the past millennium, humans have been searching the galaxy for aliens. Sene went to Alphanor to study Astronomy. During a SETI conference on Alphanor, Sene realized that the Department of Galactic Morphology at Sea Province University was involved in the secret astronomy program that provides target stars for locater searches. Sene could telepathically 'see' all that inside the mind of the Director of Research for the Department of Galactic Morphology. At about the same time, Sene also became aware of Teehalt's 'commune' on Alphanor, that was breeding for telepathic abilities."

Wendy nodded. "So that is how Teehalt became involved."

Oliveene nodded and continued her account of past events. "Teehalt wanted to find a new planet where he could live with his telepathic family members, free from interference from other minds. Sene returned to Moudervelt with Teehalt and we began a new project that resulted in the creation of Nova. Teehalt and several other telepaths donated their chromosomes for that effort, but Sene was your birth mother, Nova."

Nova asked, "So I had no father?"

"You had several fathers, but Sene was your only actual parent."

Wendy suggested, "So, Nova's telepathic ability is a type of remote viewing... she can see deeply inside people."

Oliveene added, "Nova's mind is like a powerful detector. She can pin-point locate sources of twitinos, the particles that are used to exchange telepathic signals. However, she cannot process all the twitino data to reconstruct thought processes. The original human telepathy breeding project, in the previous Reality, placed special emphasis on linking together human minds into a kind of telepathic super-network. Nova can share her fantastic ability to sense twitinos by linking her telepathic ability to other minds. In effect, Sene developed Nova as a telepathy amplification device, that could be used to lift hidden thoughts from other minds. Working by herself, Sene can only reach the most prominent thoughts inside another person's mind. But by linking her mind to Nova, Sene was able to form networks and access deeper memories and thoughts... at least inside other people who were part of her network. Linked through Nova to Kate, Sene was able to access the passwords that allowed us to hack into the secret Galctic Mapping database."

Nova said, "While on Alphanor, I was completely unaware of how Sene was using my telepathic ability."

Oliveene explained, "You grew up here on Moudervelt with Sene constantly in your mind. You can't notice her presence in your thoughts unless she tries to alert you to her presence. When you moved to Alphanor in order to study at Sea Province University, Sene also moved to Avente. She lived in a little apartment on Ard Street, disguised as a Pure Truth Nun."

Nova mused, "There have been a few times in my life when my telepathic ability seemed amplified... when I could telepathically sense my surroundings with great clarity and even 'read' some thoughts in other people's minds. The most recent was on Teehalt's planet. It was almost as if I could follow the thoughts of both Malagate and Pallis."

Wendy suggested, "The Dryads must have been amplifying your telepathic ability. They were making use of you to deal with the threat posed by Malagate to their world. They allowed you to form some kind of telepathic network with Malagate. That network, your access to Malagate's mind was like a Trojan Horse. The Dryads used it to confuse Malagate, to burn out the Star King's sensory apparatus. Your mind was also over-loaded by that positive feedback process, but when you passed out you were safe in the care of Gersen. Malagate was torn to pieces. Sadly, Pallis got caught up in the same telepathic vortex that was designed to eliminate the parthenoid."

Oliveene added, "Yes, even here on Moudervelt, my work would have been useless without help from the Phari. Sene constantly received help from the squamifoxes while she worked to develop Nova's special telepathic abilities."

Wendy asked, "Squamifoxes?"

Nova told Wendy, "The little creatures that we could see tonight on our way across the steppe."

Wendy asked Oliveene, "You have been crafting telepaths here on Moudervelt for.... how long?"

"Since the beginning. For almost 1,000 years. I was among the first settlers on Moudervelt. Together with Sene, I used some chemical treatments that prevented Nova from speaking until she was 7 years old and had developed a powerful telepathic ability. During that time of suppressed language behavior, Sene trained Nova to look deeply into people's minds using telepathy."

Nova added, "And Sene never tired of telling me about her time when she had lived on Alphanor. It seemed natural that I would follow in her footsteps and travel to the Rigel Concourse for my own education."

Oliveene nodded. "You were carefully guided to Sea Province University. In recent times, Moudervelt has grown too heavily populated. I'm now fighting the same problem that hindered Teehalt's telepathy development efforts on Alphanor. I also want to move my work to a new, less heavily populated planet. On Alphanor, Sene realized that telepathy might be the key to finding a new, low population planet where the development of telepathic humans could continue. We wanted a distant planet, beyond the reach of the pace pirates who routinely raid worlds in the Beyond."

Wendy could now understand the scope of Oliveene's plan. "You needed a world that could be yours for centuries before any other people found it."

"Exactly." Oliveene continued, "By the time we had crafted Nova and positioned her on Alphanor, Dr. Kelle was head of research in the department of Galactic Morphology and Kate was a research assistant there. She processed star data for galactic mapping. Sene used Nova as a remote viewing system... Nova could look into Kate's mind and see the passwords for gaining access to data files. We hacked into the mapping database and pulled out information about star systems that will be shared with locaters in the coming centuries... in that way, it became possible to find a world in the deep Beyond where I might continue my work undisturbed, at least for several centuries before the ever-expanding growth of Humanity through the galaxy would inevitably reach us. Once we had data from the exoplanet star survey, funding was needed to finance a group of locaters who would actually search candidate stars for a habitable planet."

source
Wendy pointed to the image being projected by the Viewer and asked Oliveene, "With your ability to see into the future, why did you need to hack the stellar database and send Teehalt in search of a new planet?"

Oliveene shrugged. "I'm limited by the technical limitations of my Viewer. I can only see a short distance into the future. Everything that we robots do creates ripples in time. Our work constantly initiates changes that propagate into the future."

Wendy recalled that it was only after establishment of the Trysta-Grean Pact that positronic robots were given access to advance Huaoshy Viewing technology that could display complete Reality Chains. She asked Oliveene, "How many positronic robots are there at work in this Reality?"

"I can't say. R. Nyrtia knows, but not I. My best guess? There may be a few dozen of us, each with our own telepathy development project, scattered around on different planets. The planet Ys is one such world, and Pallis was endowed with her telepathic ability by one of the other telepath breeding projects. All of us View the future, seeking hints for how best to proceed with our work, but in so doing we inevitable disturb the timeline, limiting the validity of our Views of the far future. Even this scene, with Nova meeting Sene, could collapse. Now that I've shared this vision of the future with Nova, all she needs to do is decide not to go with me into Cloutie. An alternative future would then be created, erasing what we now see here."

Wendy asked Oliveene, "Why was Gale Warpweave brought into your scheme?"

Oliveene explained, "Malagate, using the Warpweave alias, responded the an advertisement that Sene placed in magazines such as Cosmopolis. Warpweave came onboard as an investor with deep pockets to fund locaters, including Teehalt. Two other locaters who were sent out into the Beyond have not yet returned. I'm beginning to wonder if they were dealt with by the Phari Network."

Wendy asked, "Dealt with how?"

"Those two other locaters may have found other planets of the Phari Network and they may have decided to stay on those worlds."

Nova suggested, "Maybe they were killed by aliens."

Earth's Reality Chain
Oliveene shook her head. "No, I doubt that would happen. Planets of the Phari Network tend to have alien life forms like the Dryads; creatures that are generally peaceful and well-integrated into their world's ecosystem. On Alphanor, the apex creature is a whale-like creature of the oceans. Here on Moudervelt, the squamifoxes have interesting telepathic powers; they made it possible for Sene to cultivate Nova as a telepathic tool for remote viewing. I believe that the Phari Network is actively helping R. Nyrtia evolve a new type of human variant that will have the ability to share language-like communications via telepathic signals. We are slowly working towards that goal and the Planet of the Dryads is now available for me to use in my future work."

Wendy asked, "What about Kelle and Detteras? How are they involved in your work?"

Oliveene replied, "They are innocent bystanders, except for the fact that they each look large personal cash payments from Warpweave. Those were bribes offered by Warpweave to Kelle and Detteras in addition to the big monetary donations made by Warpweave to the Department of Galactic Morphology when Beneficial Grant 291 was endowed. Kelle and Detteras had to be paid off; they were clever enough to realize that Warpweave was up to something shady and did not really want to participate in the Master Exploration Program."

Light from Van Kaathe's star was now creeping into Oliveene's workshop through a row of windows. Oliveene suggested to Nova, "Maybe we should now go visit your mother in Cloutie."

Nova nodded, "Yes, I would like to see her. If you take me to her, I may even be able to forgive you for having made me believe that she was dead."

Oliveene pleaded, "Do not judge me too harshly, Nova. I would like you to move with me to the Planet of the Dryads and help me craft a new generation of telepaths. My work goes on, and given your spectacular telepathic ability, you should be a part of the effort to evolve fully telepathic humans." Oliveene led Wendy and Nova down the corridor and back to their rooms. "Grab your jacket, Nova, it is a chilly morning outside." Nova stepped into her room and Oliveene said to Wendy, "I believe that you can now control your artificial senses, so you will not need your jacket."

They went up the stairs to the roof. A cool breeze ruffled Wendy's clothing and she shut off her temperature sensation subsystem. Slightly adjusting her visual system for the color of Van Kaathe's starlight, Wendy looked out at the grassy steppe surrounding the convent and saw a gathered heard of thousands of squamifoxes, who were all raised up on their hind legs and gazing towards the convent. Oliveene commented, "They know that the time is near when I will be gone from Moudervelt. They are particularly intrigued by you, Wendy... the fact that you are from outside of this Reality."

Wendy felt a strange connection to the squamifoxes, as if they had a message for her. But now Wendy was having trouble seeing the squamifoxes. Her visual field was suddenly overlaid by a view of Grean's workshop. Wendy stepped towards the edge of the rooftop landing pad and exited from the AR Simulator.

Wendy arrived back in Grean's workshop. Grean said, "Welcome back to Reality."

Wendy turned and looked into the Omniviewer, which was showing events on Moudervelt. Wendy could see Oliveene and Nova on the roof of the convent. Nova rushed forward, towards the edge of the landing plat, wondering if Wendy had fallen off the roof. Grean waved her hand, resetting the Simulation. Now Wendy saw that real Inspector Wishwell there on the roof of the convent with Nova and Oliveene. A hatch slid aside and Oliveene's larger aircar rose up out of its hangar. Ryjyl, Nova and Oliveene got into that aircar and flew off towards Cloutie. In the distance, Wendy could see only one lone squamifox loping across the steppe.

Another Kirth Gersen Adventure
Wendy turned back towards Grean and asked, "Did you know that R. Nyrtia was behind the discovery of the Planet of the Dryads?"

Grean admitted to having known that positronic robots had played a role in the development of  human telepathy in the Asimov Reality. "Of course, there was a cover-up. Vance was given incomplete information about the Asimov Reality. When writing in the Buld Reality, his story about Attel Malagate the Star King could not be allowed to mention robots or telepathy. However, conditions were different in the Ekcolir Reality. In that Reality, Vance's stories were used to reveal important facts about hierions, sedrons and advanced nanotechnology. The people of Earth were being prepared for the imminent arrival of the Fru'wu."

Wendy turned again to look upon the now peaceful scene of the Rock-Wallows. She mused, "I wonder about the future of Inspector Wishwell. Will she return to Alphanor and prosecute Dr. Kelle and Rundle Detteras for their roles in data theft from the Galactic Mapping Project?"

Grean laughed. "You now know the danger of the AR Simulator, Wendy. There is always more to learn, always the temptation to undertake another mission of discovery inside the Simulator."

"You knew that by having me play the roles of Pallis, Ryjyl and Nova when I was inside the Simulator, I would begin to care about them."

"I hope you had fun during your little vacation, even if you had to deal with the deaths of Kate, Pallis and Teehalt. And what about Malagate? Were not the poor parthenoid's motivations really the same as those of Teehalt and Oliveene? Yes, I even feel sympathy for Gale Warpweave and her sad fate: being torn limb-from-limb by a pack of squid."

Wendy felt no sympathy for Sivij Suthiro, 'Beauty' Dasce or Attel Malagate. She suggested, "You must know the future of the Asimov Reality... including its alternative timelines." She pointed an accusatory finger in the direction of the Omniviewer. "Why were the Dryads so intent on killing Malagate, so capable of eliminating Malagate, yet unable to prevent Malagate from causing the deaths of Kate, Pallis and Teehalt?"

in the Asimov Reality
Grean brought to the Omniviewer display an image of the Planet of the Dryads at a future time, when R. Oliveene Nhevrix had established a new telepathy research center on that world. Grean suggested, "Don't dismiss the possibility that some of Malagate's efforts were useful for the on-going effort to develop humans with sophisticated telepathic abilities. Sadly, we know very little about how Star Kings could evolve so rapidly. I suspect that Oliveene wanted to exploit Star King techniques for genetic engineering, but it was a slippery slope. Malagate was a criminal and a source of danger. Eventually the Dryads eliminated Malagate, but it is possible that by then Sene may have already used Nova to look into Malagate's mind and learn how Malagate planned to create telepathic human-Star King hybrids." Grean looked at Wendy and a sly grin came to her face. She slipped an arm around Wendy's waist. "Many mysteries remain, my dear. Maybe you would like to return to the Planet of the Dryads on a new mission and investigate how-"

Wendy objected, "No! No, thank you, Grean. I've had enough of the AR Simulator in general and of Dryads playing around with my mind, in particular. I'm ready to get back to my work on Earth."

Grean shrugged. "Very well, but let me know when you are ready for another vacation."

in the Ekcolir Reality:
an alien Kerub from Yerophet
__________________________________

This (above) is the end of a seven part story about Wendy's adventures inside the Asimov Reality Simulator.
1. (11,000 words) Reality Simulation
2. (3,500 words) Inspector Wishwell
3. (5,000 words) The Melnoy Heights
4. (7,000 words) Thumbnail Gulch
5. (5,000 words) Malagate the Woe
6. (10,000 words) Power of the Dryads
7. (5,000 words) The Maunish Mystery

Next: Rylla reads about Wendy's adventures in the AR Simulator.

visit the Gallery of Book and Magazine Covers
Visit the Gallery of Posters.

No comments:

Post a Comment