Nov 24, 2018

Cover 500

cover 1
I like to acknowledge arbitrary numerical milestones since doing so provides me with an opportunity for reflection and meta-analysis. Back in 2015 I reached 500 posts to the wikifiction blog. In 2013 I began keeping a special image album with book and magazine covers (Album Archive, Google Photos). Now I have reached 500 images in that image album. Here in this blog post, I look back at 10 of the cover images from my Gallery of Book and Magazine Covers.

Miners of Earth
When I started my image album for science fiction covers, I was writing about Thomas, the author of a story called Miners of Earth. I imagined that Thomas also wrote a book called Daveed the Luk'ie, which was actually a fantasy story.

source
Another early cover that I had created was an imaginary magazine cover. In the Exode saga, Gohrlay was the woman whose brain was scanned to obtain the neural circuity template used in positronic robots. My cover for Science Horror Stories depicts Gohrlay undergoing a destructive brain scan. Most of the book and magazine covers in the Archive are for science fiction stories. It now seems strange that two of the earliest covers were for a fantasy story and a horror story.

Gallery of Book and Magazine Covers
source
One of the unusual covers in the Gallery is an animated gif for The Legend of Uvadekoto.

source
In 2014 I engaged in a project where I began with some public domain pulp magazine covers and transformed them into imaginary covers depicting concepts from the Exode saga. I imagine that all living things on Earth are a mixture of biological cells and invisibly small zeptites.

source
I made use of the skills that I was developing to make covers for the books in the Exode saga. I had a lot of fun making a cover image for Foundations of Eternity. That is Grean the Kac'hin using time travel technology to deal with the sudden arrival of a Buld spaceship on Earth.

source and image credits
By 2014 I was deep into creating covers for books that had been written by my imaginary collaborators such as Ivory and Anney Fersoni.

2015
Some of the covers in the Gallery are for imaginary books that I wish my favorite authors had written. There is Wayness on the Planet of the 19 Moons (larger).

source
Gwyned (larger) is the sister of Thomas. Thomas and Gwyned had to be brought into existence in order to end the Time Travel War between R. Gohrlay and the Huaoshy. The mother of Thomas and Gwyned was an Asterothrope while their father was an Ek'col.

source
I like to imagine that in previous Realities there were analogues of famous writers who wrote different science fiction stories, ones that do not exist in our Reality. For example, Hafren Wells wrote a book called Nanomancy (larger view).

500
One of the frustrating aspects of making cover images is finding images of people who look like they are doing something interesting. For the 500th upload to the Gallery of Covers, here is an alternative depiction of the Klyz[e] Teleportation Terminal (larger image). We can imagine that she is using some kind of hi-tek control interface in advance of teleporting to a distant planet.

Next: Bellicent Island
Visit the Gallery of Book and Magazine Covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment