Mar 4, 2022

Misused Medical Nanites

image source

Below on this page is Part 2 of a science fiction story called "The Prisoner of L2". During the Asimov Reality, humans were given technology for interstellar space travel and they spread through the galaxy. "The Prisoner of L2" takes place in Alastor Cluster where the human populations of planets are protected by the Whelm. Lurking among the major planets of the Cluster are "starments" where most space pirates reside, but a few major planets such as Yrinna are controlled by renegade space pirates who do not recognize the authority of the Connatic.

The L2 community, a collection of space stations near the planet Numenes, is the site of a secret Whelm research project aimed at developing teleportation technology. Also, new research center for exploration of the genes that allow for human telepathy will soon be opened at L2. The daughter of the Connatic, Yurahs, will be present for the opening ceremony of the secret telepathy research center and the security forces at L2 are all on high alert.

Part 2 of The Prisoner of L2 (Part 1)

Bey Paqt was watching the first passengers exiting from the spaceship; were mostly parents traveling with young children. As they emerged from the ship, Bey efficiently matched each family group to the list of those who had requested a motile. The process of loading kids onto the motiles created a knot of confusion and congestion which distracted Bey from watching for the arrival of Captain Bolunz, but she trusted him to keep the two suspects in hand.

Bey watched one of the newly arrived teachers move off with her three children strapped to a large motile then she turned and saw Captain Bolunz and the two illegal immigrants moving off across the concourse towards the Whelm lounge area. They were almost lost to sight behind a row of flowering decorative shrubs. Bey ran across the terminal in order to catch up to them and she called to Bolunz, "Captain!"

Both Eddy and Yōd Torus looked over their shoulders and glanced at Bey, but Bolunz kept walking away until Bey put a hand on his shoulder and said, "Let's step into my office, Lo."

The Captain suddenly stopped walking, turned and gazed at Bey with empty, unblinking eyes. After an awkward pause, he finally seemed to focus his dull eyes on Bey and he said quietly, "Oh... Bey." Then he looked back towards the corridor that led to the Whelm depot and began to move off in that direction.

Bey held tight to the Captain's arm and asked, "Lojyk, where are you going?"

Lojyk Bolunz had known Bey for three years and they were pretty good friends. He knew that he owed her an explanation, but wasn't it quite obvious what was going on? The General was waiting to interview these two telepaths. He began to speak, but no words came out of his mouth. Yōd moved close and told Bey, "The Captain is taking us to see General Wylys."

Bey's eyes were drawn to Yōd's breasts which peaked out from the confines of her unbuttoned blouse. Eddy and Yōd were the first illegal immigrants to arrive at L2 during the three years of Bey's posting there at L2 as Chief of Security. With the Connatic's daughter, Yurahs, soon to arrive for the opening of the new mining station, Bey was planning to sit on Eddy and Yōd and not let them out of her sight until Yurahs completed her ceremonial duties, departed from L2 and returned to Numenes. Now with her eyes resting appreciatively on Yōd's sexy body, Bey felt her heart rate accelerate and she began making erotic plans to really sit on Yōd in the best possible way. In two seconds, a flaming sexual fantasy flashed through Bey's mind.

Before she could speak, Bey watched in wonder as the Captain put a hand on the arms of both Eddy and Yōd and he moved to continue walking towards the end of the terminal that housed the military hangar and travelers lounge. Puzzled by Bolunz's odd behavior, Bey ran to get in front of the Captain while telling him, "Let's go to my office and discuss the best..." Captain Bolunz would have marched right over Bey. She stood her ground, grabbed him by his arms and shook him. "Bolunz!"

Bolunz crashed into Bey and she felt his stiff penis press against her body. Now she noticed that her own nipples were erect. After the collision, the Captain finally seemed to return to a normal state of consciousness. Realizing that he had failed to fulfill Yōd's desires and get her and Eddy quickly and safely to the General, he turned his head, looked at Yōd and mumbled, "Sorry."

Placing a hand on her shoulder, Yōd told Bey, "Look, we'll come back here when we are done with the General. Just give us an hour or two."

Eddy told Yōd, "Well, we are here now..."

Yōd told Eddy, "Let's let Azynov take care of Bey."

Bey fixed her gaze on Yōd's pretty face and asked, "Azynov?"

Yōd sighed. "Listen, Chief, you can relax." Yōd was sending a swarm of medical nanites into Bey's brain. That meant that Yōd was loosing control of the Captain mind as her limited supply of nanites shifted from his brain over to Bey. "Trust me, we will come back here after we deal with the General."

Sounding half drunk as his memory systems came back online, Bolunz asked rather stupidly, "What deal?"

mind control nanites
Bey glanced at where Yōd's warm fingers pressed into the flesh of her shoulder and felt a thrill at that physical contact. At some lower level of her mind, Bey knew that it was her duty to not allow Eddy and Yōd to get within shooting distance of Yurahs, but she was intrigued by Yōd. Actually, Bey was feeling quite sexually attracted to Yōd. Deciding that she should listen to this fascinating young woman, Bey asked, "What General?"

Hearing mention of the General, Bolunz now remembered that he should not talk to Bey about the huge secret military contingents that were stationed at L2. But thoughts of his duties were struggling to bubble up through a layer his raging emotions. He felt one more surge of wild lust for Yōd that instantly shifted to anger. Suddenly speaking sharply, he told her, "Watch your mouth!"

Yōd smiled provocatively at the Captain and licked her lips. She was struggling to control the behavior of both Bolunz and Bey at the same time. Eddy said, "I think there has been a misunderstanding." He told Bey, "We'll come back here later and then you can smooth out all of our immigration paperwork- 

_______

Suddenly Yōd and I were popped out of the Asimov Reality Simulation and we were inside Azynov's workshop. This was the strangest 'place' I had ever seen and it did not really seem like an actual place. We were surrounded by what looked like a gray fog that receded indistinctly into the distance. Nearby was a huge data console and on an array of view screens, I could see an assortment of images of Bolunz, Bey, Yōd and myself at the L2 spaceport. Azynov told Yōd, "You can't control them both at the same time. Don't even try."

Yōd embraced Azynov and the two lovers kissed. For a minute I looked at the many display screens of the data console which were showing images of various places around L2. 

Reality Simulation
This image was made using
"Elfy and Kelly" by Eclesi4stiK
available under the CC BY-NC-SA 3.0
Finally, Yōd pulled her lips away from Azynov and asked, "Can't you control Bey while we visit the General?"

Azynov shook his head. He pointed to one of the display screens, "Bey is being watched all the time." Azynov placed his finger on the screen. "This is a military agent; she's watching Bey. Believe me, everything goes wrong if Bey does not follow the mandatory immigration protocols."

Yōd shrugged and asked, "The Whelm is spying on their own Chief of Security?"

"Exactly. Look, this will make no sense to you, but here is what you need to do." Azynov put a hand on my arm and told me, "As soon as you exit from the spaceship, go directly to Bey and let her take you to her office." He turned back to Yōd and told her, "As soon a Bey is out of the way, you go with Bolunz over to the telepathy research center."

I asked nervously, "You want us to split up?"

"Yes." Azynov grinned, "I want you to tell Bey all about me and the fact that she's in a Simulation. Keep her entertained by whatever means you can think of, but be sure to casually mention that her boyfriend, a guy named Elyas Zoffes, knows me and will be able to explain what is going on. Elyas is a writer." Azynov tapped on a displayed map of the space station. "Bey's office is over her, on the top level of the spaceport."

I had no idea what Azynov was talking about. I numbly repeated, "Elyas Zoffes."

Yōd asked Azynov, "You've already met with this Zoffes and told him why we came to L2?"

alien-human hybrids
Azynov shook his head and pointed to a display screen that showed an image of Elyas. I could see that Elyas had blue skin and pointed ears. Azynov told Yōd, "No. Elyas is a human-alien hybrid. I've never met him and that is not important. Look, this is simple. Yōd, you go chat with General Wylys and then you two can start your investigation of the teleportation research center. Remember, this is the perfect time for you two to investigate the mining station because Whelm security will be disrupted by the arrival of the Connatic's daughter. She'll arrive at L2 in three hours." Azynov turned back to me and said, "Don't be so stubborn. You two need to amplify your telepathic abilities... you know how." Without waiting for either Yōd or me to say anything, Azynov sent us back into the Simulation.

_________

Suddenly, we were back on the spaceship, on our way to L2. I telepathically told Yōd: That was weird.

Yōd said: I could sense that Azynov has given us several re-dos in the Simulation, but we can't get past Bey unless we split up. Let's try it this time the way Azynov told us.

Fine, but maybe this is all wrong. Why can't we just go directly into the research station and look around?

No, security is very tight. We'd be detected at once and would learn nothing. We have to work our way in gradually... indirectly.

I was watching a display screen inside the passenger cabin that showed our ship's approach to L2. There were only the endless sparkling stars of the Cluster until we were right on top of the spaceport. There was a brief view of the exterior of the port and then we docked with a gentle bump. The display creed now showed: Arrival L2. I told Yōd: I don't see how you'll explain to the General why I'm not with you. Captain Bolunz will have a lot of explaining to do.

In the Ekcolir Reality
Yōd told me: I'll deal with that, you just entertain Bey until I return from the telepathy station. I'll see you in a couple of hours. Moving stiffly like a zombie, Bolunz got to his feet and began to lead us off of the spaceship.

This time, I rushed right past Bolunz and was the first person off the ship after the families with small children. Gazing out into the terminal, I saw Bey where she was helping load some small children onto a motile. I buckled in one of the children and she instantly recognized me and she looked over her shoulder, briefly searching for Yōd among the other arriving passengers. The mother moved off guiding the motile and said, "Thank you."

Before she could say anything, I told Bey, "I need to speak with Elyas. I'll call him from your office." I turned and began walking towards the bank of escalators.

Bey followed me, grabbed my arm and asked, "You know Elyas?"

"Of course. Azynov briefed me before my arrival. I'll need his help." We moved through one of the glades of palm trees that grew there inside the big terminal. A little waterfall murmured among the trees and I was impressed by how the spaceport had been designed to feel almost like a big greenhouse. Birds chattered in the tree tops. Emerging from between the clump of palms, we reached the escalator and I said, "I'm a writer and Elyas is going to help me do some research on asteroid mining... background information for my next novel."

Bey complained, "Slow down, why are you in such a hurry? I was told to expect your wife, Yōd." We were using the escalators to get up to the top floor of the spaceport, but I kept walking rather than simply ride. Bey looked out into the depths of the terminal, still hoping to see Yōd.

I was just making things up as I went along and rather enjoying it. Bey seemed pretty befuddled. I was not worried. If anything went wrong, Azynov would simply restart the simulation. As we walked through the terminal, I was trying to establish a telepathic connection to Bey's mind. I said, "She's taking the next flight from Blazon. She'll be here latter today. There was some foul-up with the reservations." 

As we got on a second escalator, Bey told me, "Today is a special day... unusually heavy traffic. All due to the opening ceremony for the new mining station."

"I'm not interested in the new station." We stepped off the escalator and were now on the top floor of the port. "I want to study the one that's been here for centuries."

Bey guided me down a corridor and into her office and she asked me, "Who is this Azynov?"

"My agent. Like me, he's from Earth." I glanced at the security monitoring equipment there in the office. "You have mining technology here in the Cluster that might be of interest to my readers on Earth. I've heard that the planet Triskelion has some advanced mining techniques."

Bey called Elyas and his face appeared in the big display screen on the wall of the office. Elyas looked at me and asked Bey, "Hey, what's up?"

Bey had never previously called Elyas while she was working, but now she had a work-related reason for a call. She asked Elyas, "Do you recognize him?" She pointed at me.

"I don't think so. Should I?"

I said, "I believe you recently got a letter from Azynov, my agent. At least you replied and told Azynov that you'd show me around and help me with my research on asteroid mining technology."

Azynov
Elyas shook his head. "I don't recall any Azynov. What kind of a name is that?"

"We're from Earth. I'm exploring Alastor Cluster and collecting ideas for my next novel, which will be set in the Cluster."

I later learned that Elyas was not really a writer. He used that as a cover story, but his job was watching Bey who was being evaluated as a potential security risk. However, I'm getting ahead of myself in the telling of this story. "I didn't get a letter from any Azynov. What's his full name?" Elyas demanded, "Who are you?"

I replied, "Azynov finds a single name to be adequate. I'm Eddy Torus."

Bey told Elyas, "Sorry to bother you." She moved to terminate the video call.

Elyas told Bey, "Maybe I should flit over to the spaceport and help you figure out what is going on."

Bey shook her head. "No, don't bother. I'll handle this. See you later." She terminated the call and told me, "Now, perhaps you'll tell me the real reason why you came to L2." Bey was rubbing her head. I was trying my best to make telepathic contact with her, but I could not detect any telepathic resonance with her mind pattern.

I tried to put a reassuring smile on my face. "I've told you the truth. I want to learn about the special technologies that are being used at the mining station. I understand that L2 supplies all of the Connatic's needs for iridium."

With growing suspicion, Bey asked, "Why do you mention the Connatic?"

"Why shouldn't I? That's true, isn't it? Doesn't all of the iridium for the Whelm come from just this one mining operation?"

"You don't need to be dramatic about it. I doubt if the Connatic ever concerns himself with the mining of basic commodities. Is this a matter that is of interest to Earth?"

"I can't speak for Earth... I'm just a writer. And newly arrived here in the Cluster, I have no idea what the Connatic's interests are. However, now I'm wondering if you don't trust me. I'm not a space pirate trying to infiltrate the mining station."

Again Bey rubbed her head. She placed a hand against the side of my head and asked, "Are you a telepath?"

"I have some telepathic abilities." I did not care to mention that my telepathy was almost completely restricted to my ability to telepathically "speak" to Yōd and that was only possible because our children were part of the mind clone network. I asked Bey, "Are you a telepath?"

"No, I am not. But I can sense that there is something very strange about you, besides just your accent. I can't imagine why you made up this story about knowing Elyas."

"Well, if I told you the source of my knowledge, then maybe you'll be less skeptical about my good intentions. That is... if you could believe me." I took hold of Bey's hand. "How do you think I know about your boyfriend?"

"Many people know that I've been living with Elyas for the past year."

"But I just arrived from Earth. This is my first visit to L2." Suspecting that my telepathic emissions might be having an effect on Bey, I kept up my effort to link into her mind.

Bey looked down at our linked hands. "Let's not play games. Tell me your source of information."

"Well, you are not going to like this. Everything that we are experiencing is a simulation. We are inside a Simulated Reality."

Bey pulled her hand out of my grasp. She drew herself a glass of water from a tap at the wall and took a pain pill. Still rubbing her head she said, "Simulation?"

"Yes. I'm here in this simulation of the Asimov Reality to learn about the origins of advanced technology here in Alastor Cluster."

"Wait a minute. Asimov Reality? Does this have something to do with your friend Azynov?"

"Exactly. Now you understand! This Reality is named after Mr. Asimov. Azynov is a replicoid copy of Asimov."

"What does that mean? What is a replicoid?"

"An artificial life-form. Azynov is an exact duplicate of the biological Asimov."

Bey shook her head. "Besides a bad headache, I feel perfectly normal. I can't believe that we are inside some kind of virtual reality." Bey paced back and forth across the office for a minute then asked, "This Asimov is another Earthman?"

replicoids in in the Ekcolir Reality
Original cover art: Edmund Emshwiller
"Yes, he is a famous science fiction writer." We were thousands of years in the future and thousands of light-years from Earth, so I did not expect Bey to know the name 'Asimov'."

"Science fiction? What... are you some kind of nut who writes wacky science fiction stories about other dimensions and imaginary technologies?"

I smiled broadly at Bey. "That about sums it up."

"Then why lie to me about knowing Elyas? He doesn't write that science fiction crap."

"I know Elyas because Azynov and I can View events inside this Simulation. So you see, before ever coming here to L2, it was possible for Azynov and I to learn about you and your lover."

I suppose that Bey had reached the point in her thinking where she was trying to figure out how she was going to explain any of this in an official written report. She asked me, "Is you wife going to be able to corroborate any of your crazy claims?"

"Yes, she's also a visitor to this Simulation... from outside"

Bey sat down at her desk and made use of the data station. While she worked, I really bore down on her telepathically and thought that I could now weakly sense her mind. Without any real feedback occurring between our minds, I just kept throwing thoughts at her, pretending that I was telepathically communicating with Yōd and hoping that I might be able to distract and confuse Bey. After a few minutes she looked at me and said, "I don't think I can believe anything that you say. The spaceship records show that Yōd arrived here on the same ship that you took from Blazon." After another minute pounding at the data console, an image of Yōd and Captain Bolunz appeared on the display screen. "So, you came here with Bolunz?"

"Yes, I met Bolunz at Blazon spaceport. Where was this picture taken?"

in the Ekcolir Reality
"This is surveillance video. Bolunz and Yōd were in the terminal only a short time ago. I wonder why..." Bey tried to contact Bolunz, but the connection did not open up. "Strange... he always lets me know that he is going to visit L2. He was just here yesterday..." Bey ordered me, "Call your wife."

I knew that some residents of Alastor Cluster had a telecommunications implant, but short of popping out of the Simulation, I had no way of contacting Yōd. I shrugged and said, "I was not expecting to get separated from Yōd. You'll have to wait until she returns. I hope she'll be back soon."

______

Bolunz and Yōd exited from the public part of the spaceport terminal and entered into the Whelm hanger. Bolunz signed out a quick two-person flitter and soon he and Yōd were on their way to the new telepathy research station. Gazing out into the star-decorated space of the Cluster, Yōd asked nervously, "Should you call ahead?"

Bolunz glanced at Yōd with a puzzled look on his face. He was feeling quite pleased with himself. Running through his mind were thoughts of how wonderful it was to have met Yōd and how delightfully sexy she was. He leaned across the space between their two flight couches and tried to kiss her. Yōd placed a finger on his lips and said, "Think Lojyk, darling, what is the proper procedure for bringing in a new telepath to meet the General?"

Bolunz kissed Yōd's finger and he briefly tried to think about the General, but he was too distracted by Yōd's lovely hair and the seductive curves of her sexy body and the exotic sound of her voice. He could not push out of his thoughts a fantasy about having Yōd's hand on his penis...

Yōd was trying to gradually release Bolunz from the remaining effects of the medical nanites that she had sent into his brain. At the same time, she continued to flood the Captain with a continual telepathic stream of erotic thoughts. Bolunz had a hand on Yōd's crotch, but suddenly he remembered military protocol. Reluctantly pulling away from Yōd, he called the station: "Captain Bolunz here, bringing the Torus item in for questioning, over."

A moment later, the voice of the military flight control officer came through to the flitter: "Use docking module 17. Roger that?"

"Roger. ETA, two minutes." Bolunz plugged into the flight control system DM17 as their destination and then he turned back towards Yōd and said, "I'll wait here for you. Remember, come back to DM17 after you meet the General."

Yōd playfully patted his stiff penis where it pushed out against the fabric of his pants. "Yes, darling. I'll be quick. We need to get back to Chief Paqt before she does anything stupid." Bolunz leaned against Yōd's warm body and kissed her passionately.

Then the flitter door opened. Two Whelm soldiers were waiting there inside the station and they escorted Yōd to the General's command center. An officer approached Yōd and said, "I'm Major Naquel. The General is in a meeting. Let's wait in my office until he's available." Naquel took Yōd down a short corridor and into his office. He did not bother to close the door. The two soldiers stood just outside the door. "This is a busy day around here, but you won't have to wait long. The General wants to meet you."

Like Bolunz, Naquel seemed to emit no twitinos. Yōd placed a hand on Major Naquel's arm and began pushing her thoughts into his mind, hoping that he had some capacity to at least receive twitinos. She asked, "Are you an important person in the telepathy research project?"

Major Naquel chuckled. "I'm no telepath. I'm just a security officer." He placed a hand on top of hers.

Yōd leaned into the Major, pressing one of her breasts against the side of his arm. "Are you dealing with a threat from pirates?"

Naquel puffed out his chest. "Sorry my dear, I'm not allowed to speak to civilians about military matters." He patted her hand.

Yōd turned her hand over and let her fingers interdigitate with his. "Well, what can you tell me about L2? I only just arrived. Where are the hot entertainment sites? Where to you soldiers go to relax?"

Major Naquel shook his head. He placed his free hand against his forehead. After a moment he said, "I'll give you my comcode. If you're really joining the telepathy research project, we'll be seeing more of each-other."

Just then, General Wylys came into the Major's office and said, "At ease, Major."

Major Naquel came to attention and saluted the General, but with Yōd deep in his mind, Naquel could not bring himself to let go of her hot hand. "Yōd Torus, sir. She seems nervous about meeting you so I've been trying to put her at ease."

Noting the bulge in Naquel's pants where his stiff penis pressed out against the fabric of his pants, Wylys told him, "I suppose I can't blame you for trying to comfort Mrs. Torus." The General was a tall gray-haired woman. She visually examined Yōd from head to toe and then said, "If you can pull yourself away from the Major, I'll shake your hand."

Without letting go of the Major's sweaty hand, Yōd lifted her other hand and held it out towards the General. "Pleased to meet you. I can't imagine why you folks are so interested in little old me..." Yōd could sense a weak telepathic link to the General. Yōd instantly began trying to synchronize with the General's mind pattern and Yōd began shifting her medical nanites into Wylys' body.

Gazing at Yōd's chest where the seductive curves of her breasts were on display, Wylys licked her lips. Struggling to keep her thoughts focused on business, the General told Yōd, "I'm intrigued... you and your husband have demonstrated a strong telepathic connection." General Wylys asked the Major, "Where is Eddy?"

Major Naquel shrugged and replied, "I don't know, sir."

Yōd told them, "Chief Paqt was quite insistent that we explain our immigration status, so Eddy went with Paqt and I came over here to see what I can do for you." Yōd smiled at the General, winked and sent wave after wave of erotic thoughts into the General's mind.

The Major finally let go of Yōd's hand and the General said, "It is very strange... a strong telepath like you showing up today, just hours before the official opening of the new research facility. I take it you want to join the telepathy project?"

"I have thought about it, General, but I enjoy my freedom. I don't want to get locked up behind the security restrictions of some super secret military project, even if it would give me access to fascinating companions like Major Naquel." Yōd affectionately patted the Major's arm.

General Wylys laughed. "Forget about the Major's gallantries, Mrs. Torus. I'm a bit of a telepath myself. I can sense you are no danger to the project, as long as we keep our wits about us and don't let you seduce us." The General casually ran a hand over her breasts where her stiff nipples pressed out against the fabric of her uniform. "That's quite a skill you have, my dear... I feel you inside my mind... making me horny as hell." Wylys reached out and touched Yōd's soft hair.

A buzzer sounded at the comterminal on the Major's desk. A voice asked, "Is the General there?"

General Wylys called out, "I'm coming!" Wylys took hold of Yōd's hand and pulled her towards the doorway. Turning her head over her shoulder, Wylys told the Major, "With her telepathic abilities, she'd make a great special agent for the Whelm, but all she and her husband intend to do is study the mining technology here at L2" The general led Yōd down the hallway and the two soldiers followed along.

Yōd explained to Wylys, "Yes, we are interested in advanced asteroid mining technology... Alastor Cluster seems far ahead of Earth in this area. We did not come here to investigate the new telepathy research project, although it does intrigue me. We'll try to stay out of your way... you need not worry about us." Yōd was using her medical nanites to inactivate the regions in the General's brain that usually inhibited her from speaking to civilians about the secret telepathy research project.

The General said, "Well, there is no need for you to completely avoid us, Yōd. You could not get your telepathic tendrils into me until we were in the same room, so I know that you are not a long-range telepath. Those can be dangerous. Your telepathic mind is not powerful enough to disrupt the on-going research. This is primarily a genetics project and most of the people being stationed here are biologists, not telepaths. Anyhow, now that you've explained your intentions to me, we will allow you to go about your private affairs." General Wylys stopped walking and leaned her face close to Yōd's and seemed on the verge of kissing her.

Yōd said, "Thank you, General." Yōd stopped slipping erotic thoughts into the General's mind and now telepathically reminded the General of her duties.

They resumed walkin down the hallway. "Do call on me if you need anything during your visit to L2. I'd be happy to... lend a hand." Wylys squeezed Yōd's hand reassuringly. "I only ask that you not speak to others about our secret research project; the Connatic does not want us to attract the attention of space pirates." General Wylys paused in front of a doorway and slipped an arm around Yōd's waist. "I'm busy today, otherwise I'd personally escort you over to Chief Paqt's office." The general patted Yōd's round bottom affectionately then opened the door and stepped back into the crowded conference room where plans were being finalized for the visit of the Connatic's daughter to L2.

The two soldiers guided Yōd back to DM17 and Captain Bolunz soon had Yōd back at the spaceport's main Terminal. During the flitter ride, Yōd was no longer pushing erotic thoughts into the Captain's mind and she told him how both the Major and the General had offered to take her in hand and show Yōd around L2. "I even got an invitation to join the secret Whelm telepathy research project!" Now Yōd was using her telepathic influence and her nanites to remind the Captain that his work at L2 was complete and to suggest that he was needed back at Blazon.

"Chief Paqt and your husband are waiting for you at the port." The Captain added, "I need to be getting back to Blazon, now. However, I'm out here all the time and I hope to see you again."

______________

When Bolunz and Yōd stepped out from the military hanger into the public terminal, Chief Paqt and I were there waiting for them, along with Elyas Zoffes. Zoffes had come to the spaceport in defiance of Paqt's wishes. While we were waiting for Yōd, Bey and Elyas told me about various sites of interest at L2. Elyas seemed delighted to have a fellow writer visiting L2. I was in the middle of telling him about the Asimov Reality Simulator when Yōd appeared. Captain Bolunz told Chief Paqt, "Sorry I missed you. I'm going to run and try to catch the next flight to Blazon." With one last look at Yōd, he hurried off across the terminal.

I introduced Yōd to Bey. I could sense that Yōd was telepathically pressing erotic suggestions into Bey's mind. Bey introduced Yōd to Elyas, then Bey told Yōd, "I have an idea... rather than going to your hotel, why not allow Elyas and I to show you some real L2 hospitality?"

Yōd leaned close to Bey and she tugged at her unbuttoned blouse while she batted her eyes and asked, "What do you have in mind?"

Chief Paqt suggested, "Elyas, why don't you take your new writer chum home? I've got some business with Yōd... I'll bring Yōd home for dinner after we get their immigration status figured out." Bey took hold of Yōd's hand, "I hope you can stay and visit with us. We'll put you up for the night, even though I know you two have reservations at the Brynkly Residential Station."

Yōd told me, "Get our over-night bags from the cargo depot. See you for dinner, lover." Yōd put her free hand behind my neck, pulled me close and kissed me on the lips.

Elyas kissed Bey on the cheek then Chief Paqt and Yōd walked off hand-in-hand to her office. I noticed the Whelm security agent who was assigned to follow Bey move out from behind a row of shrubs and start following Bey across the terminal. Elyas took my arm and led me off towards the cargo facilities while he resumed our discussion about the idea of Reality Simulation.

image source
I sent most of our luggage on to the the Brynkly and then carried our two over-night bags to the garage where Elyas had parked his flitter. As we were flitting towards the house that Elyas shared with Bey, he said, "You really seem serious about this crazy simulation idea."

I sighed deeply. "I won't try to convince you that we are in a Simulation. However, let me ask you a question. Do you know a woman named Nyrtia?"

"Nyrtia? I don't think so. What's her full name?"

"Well, she is actually Robot Nyrtia."

"A robot?" Elyas laughed. "Robots do menial jobs like haul suitcases for tourists. Robots from the Brynkly Residential Station will take the rest of your your luggage over there."

"Well, aren't there some experimental robots here in Alastor Cluster that are a little more sophisticated? I've been told that the best robots are made on Triskelion."

"Yes, I've heard rumors of such things. But those experimental robots are very expensive. I've never met one. Although, there are science fiction stories about advanced robots living undetected among humans. Do you write any stories about robots?"

"Well, yes... robots are one of my favorite topics."

I suppose Elyas was seriously thinking about the idea that a robot might slip into L2, but it must have seemed an unlikely possibility. A robotic body would be quickly detected by the security scanners. "I never know when you are serious and when you are talking about your science fiction stories. Do you really expect to meet this Nyrtia robot here?"

Nyrtia
"It is possible. However, she is like my friend Azynov. Nyrtia might choose to remain outside of the simulation." We arrived at the home of Elyas and Bey and I was shown to the guest room. I dropped off the bags and then we watched the opening ceremony for the new asteroid mining facility on the local news program. The Connatic's daughter, Yurahs, gave a short speech. She thanked the construction crews that had built the new facility and then cut a ribbon. 

Elyas turned off the news program and turned to me, "It seems more than just a coincidence that you and Yōd arrived here at L2 today."

I chuckled. "I think my friend Azynov selected this particular day with the hope that someone would be unusually busy and they would make a mistake and let slip some information that will be useful to us. However, even if we don't make contact with Nyrtia, I'm having a blast. This is my first time in outer-space. This distributed community of space stations is fascinating." I eased back in my chair. "This looks to be a very comfortable home."

"First time? But you claim to be from Earth..."

"I did not have to actually travel from Earth to Numenes. Remember, I can enter into this Simulation from outside. I simply appear at a particular place and time within this Simulation."

Elyas shook his head. He opened up a bottle. "I think I need a drink. I'm quite certain that I'm not in a Simulation. I can't imagine what you hope to gain by pretending that this science fiction plot device is somehow real."

For a few minutes we discussed wiskey and other alcoholic drinks. Then Elyas said, "Its getting late." We took our drinks into the kitchen and started making some tentative plans for dinner. Elyas said, "I like to have dinner ready for Bey when she gets home for work. Tell me what Yōd likes to eat."

"You don't really have to worry about that. She does not really need to eat. After-all, this is only a simulation."

"I'm going to assume that you are joking, Eddy. I'll prepare something that Bey and I both like and leave it to you to offer excuses to your wife if she's not happy with the food."

I admitted, "I'm not afraid of Yōd. She's not actually my wife."

Elyas looked at the gold ring on my finger. "But you are married?"

clones
"Well, it is a bit complicated. I did get married, but then my wife left Earth."

"Wow. She just left you?"

"Yes. It was tragic. However, my wife's sister immediately moved in and... well, I now think of Zeta as my wife."

"This Zeta... she's back on Earth?"

"Yes, I left her at home. She had house guests."

Elyas drank some more liqueur and stared at me for a while. "That kiss that Yōd gave you looked fairly serious."

I shrugged. "Yōd and Zeta are sisters. Yōd lived with Zeta and I for a couple of years. That was a bit awkward."

Elyas shook his head in dismay. "I think you're teasing me. Just how many sisters did your wife have?"

"I'm not sure. They are not sisters in the conventional sense. Anyhow, I've never been told how many of the clones were produced... at least five that I know of for sure and I suspect there are others."

"Human cloning? This does sound like science fiction." Elyas emptied his glass and re-filled it from the bottle. "Who would make so many copies of one woman? And what for?" Elyas began slicing up some vegetable with a knife.

I did not feel hungry, but I started chewing on a carrot. I tried to explain to Elyas that the original Gohrlay was a Neanderthal woman and then we got into a long discussion of Deep Time and Earth's Reality Chain. 

I was explaining to Elyas what I knew about the Asimov Reality Simulation when Yōd and Bey arrived. With my telepathic link to Yōd, I could sense that she and Bey had recently engaged in a steamy sexplay session inside Bey's office that afternoon. Yōd warned me: I've still got a lock on her mind. I'm keeping her sexually aroused so that she can't think straight.

Soon we were settled in around the dining table and Yōd was pretending to be hungry and complimenting Elyas on his cooking.

Bey turned to me and said, "Yōd basically confirmed your crazy story about this being a simulation. I'm amazed by your shared delusion, but Yōd's tongue makes up for all that."

Elyas asked, "What about Yōd's tongue?" Bey and Yōd both giggled and gazed into each-others eyes. Elyas told Bey, "Eddy put on quite a performance for me this afternoon... when he talks it always sounds like he's reciting a crazy science fiction story."

Bey continued to gaze lovingly across the table at Yōd. "Well, you need to experience Yōd and her tongue. Her performance and the orgasms I had almost made me forget about how crazy their Simulator story sounds. I do have to wonder... what if this is all a simulation? If so, then nothing that we do today can really matter..."

I suggested, "Think of it from my perspective... Yōd and I are here for a reason, so what happens in this Simulation matters to us. We are here for information. If you are willing to help us, I'd be grateful."

Elyas reached over and took hold of Yōd's hand. "I can sense that you two have telepathic abilities. I'm a rotten telepath, but I have to wonder... did you use telepathic mind control to make Bey have sex with you?"

Yōd shook her head. "I think you know Bey better than that. She's all business when she's at work. So, in addition to my telepathic abilities, I had to use nanotechnology to alter the function of her brain. I used a little nanosurgery to lessen her inhibitions."

Bey said, "Ridiculous! I was simply driven into a sexual frenzy by your seductive beauty, Yōd."

Yōd contradicted Bey, "No, Bey, when you get back to your normal pattern of brain function, you'll realize that I'm just an ordinary woman. Right now, you can't trust your esthetic judgements, not with me filling your thoughts with erotic images."

Elyas asked Yōd, "Are you really a Neanderthal?"

Bey shouted, "Elyas! What a rude thing to say."

Yōd told Bey, "It is true, Bey. Genetically I'm a human-Neanderthal hybrid. I suppose there is nobody in Alastor Cluster who carries more Neanderthal genetic sequences than me. However, my physical form was shaped by developmental control nanites, so I look like a perfectly normal human of the modern era."

Elyas laughed. "It must be fun for you two, existing in this fantasy that you've constructed. When the novel for this science fiction story comes out, I'll be sure to read it."

Bey, still with Yōd's nanites in her brain said, "Think carefully, Elyas. Maybe they are telling the truth about us being inside a simulation. If so, will we... I don't know, just be erased when you are done exploring L2?"

Yōd explained, "Every run of the Simulation is recorded. So what we do will not be completely erased."

Elyas pulled his hand away from Yōd and he continued eating. "Very well, if we play this game, then we have to ask... what do Eddy and Yōd have to gain?" Elyas looked at me and said, "I don't understand the importance of the robot, Nyrtia."

Earth's Reality Chain
It took me the rest of the duration of the meal to explain to Bey who Nyrtia is and the idea of a Reality Chain. When everyone was done eating, their household robot began clearing the dinner dishes off of the table. While watching the robot's efficient movements, I said, "So, all of this, everything in Alastor Cluster, took place in a past Reality... what I call the Asimov Reality. However, in my Reality, there are old stories about what happened here in Deep Time. I'm trying to determine if there is any truth in one of those old stories."

For a minute both Bey and Elyas were silent. Finally Bey asked, "But this so-called story, it must be important to you."

"Yes, it is. The Simulation technology uses something like-" Yōd kicked me under the table.

Yōd said, "Simulation technology uses advanced technology that we don't understand. We hope to learn some technical tricks here in Alastor Cluster."

I added, "The rumor is, Robot Nyrtia may have been involved in a particular technological advance that happened here."

"Here at L2?"

"That's the rumor. That's why we are here."

Yōd added, "The problem is, we've looked ahead in the Simulation and what we see in the future seems to contradict the story that we are investigating."

"A science fiction story?" Elyas had consumed quite a bit of alcohol and he was a bit drunk. He said, "Now hold on just a moment... I want to be clear about this, The only reason you are here is because of some silly story? Fiction?"

I suggested, "Even if it was fiction, there might be some truth in it."

Bey laughed and shook her head in wonder, "There's nothing quite like the mind of a writer. I guess that's what attracts me to Elyas."

Yōd told Bey, "Well, a guy better be good in bed. Felicity with words can't conjure up magical orgasms."

For about a minute Bey laughed rather uncontrollably and then she wiped a few tears from her eyes and led us from the dining room to an observation chamber with comfortable seats and the stars of the Cluster glittering all around us. For a time, Bey and Elyas named the major star patterns and spoke about inhabited planets they had visited around the Cluster. Eventually, conversation returned to Nyrtia and the reason why Yōd and I had come to L2. Elyas asked, "Exactly what technology are you concerned with? Is it related to your telepathic abilities? In the future, do all humans have telepathic abilities?"

Bey asked Yōd, "Or in the past... did Neanderthals all have telepathy?"

Yōd replied, "Neanderthal telepathy was very limited. Right now, I'm using a form of technology-assisted telepathy."

Bey seemed skeptical. "Can't you just read everyone's minds and find out what you want to know?"

"Telepathy does not work that way... at least not the kind of telepathy that we have." Yōd took hold of my hand. "For example, I can't read your thoughts, but I have a fairly good telepathic link to my husband, particularly if we are close together. But even that strong telepathic link only allows us to speak together silently. And, unfortunately, if we are apart from each-other, we lose out telepathic linkage."

We all fell silent and then after a time with everyone gazing at the stars, Bey asked Elyas, "How did the opening ceremony go today?"

Elyas replied, "I saw the ribbon cutting on the news. Nothing exciting."

Bey complained, "Well, I suppose things will just keep getting worse for me. More and more immigrants, ever more work for me."

Elyas said, "You have to learn to let things go, Bey. Just do your job... don't try to deal with every little domestic conflict around town."

"If I don't put out the little fires, they'll grow into big fires."

I could sense that Bey and Elyas were hashing over an old argument. I asked, "How many people live here at L2?"

"The population rises every day. Today, 429 new residents came in through the port... nearly a record. Not counting a few transients like you two, L2 has over 90,000 residents."

"And only one police officer?" Yōd seemed impressed. "How do you handle security for 90,000 people?"

"Well, it is not just me. You met Captain Bolunz. He's out here almost every day now with all the new folks coming to work at the new ore processing station. And there are other Whelm personnel that handle all of the security for the miners. Thankfully, I don't ever have to go to the mining stations. But now that there are two of them, the L2 population has just about doubled. It really is too much. I am having to just let some problems pass me by. There really should be another person working with me at my office."

"Cant you just hire a Deputy Chief?"

"I've requested an assistant in my budget each of the past two years, but my budget seems to be frozen."

Elyas chuckled and told Bey, "Maybe we will have to clone you."

Bey jumped out of her seat and pulled at Elyas' arm. "On that note, I'll take this joker off to bed. I have to be up early, we have three more passenger ships arriving in the morning at the port."

I took Yōd to the guest room and she flopped on the bed. She said, "Well, I'm finally going to get you in bed."

I reminded Yōd of my reluctance to engage in sexplay with her. I had no intention of sharing an orgasm trance with Yōd unless we had to take extreme measures to accomplish our mission. However, Yōd seemed to ignore my qualms of conscious. She pulled a see-through nighty out of her over-night bag and took a good ten minutes to first undress and then get the sexy nighty arrayed on her body. I was trying to ignore Yōd's lovely body and I had a question for her. "Why did you and Azynov select this particular time for a visit to L2?"

Yōd explained, "Things are going to get very exciting in the morning... actually, in the middle of the sleep tri-per. The Whelm is already in a tizzy, but the public announcement will come in the middle of the night."

"What announcement?"

"The Connatic's daughter is missing."

"What?"

"What I said. And of course, space pirates are going to get blamed."

Next: Part 3 of "The Prisoner of L2"

visit the Gallery of Book and Magazine Covers


No comments:

Post a Comment