Feb 1, 2019

Jungle Books

In the Ekcolir Reality.
Original art by Michael Whelan
Until today, this blog has only ever had one small mention of Goodreads. I discovered the Goodreads website about the time that I began this blog, but when online retailer Amazon.com took control of Goodreads I abandoned the Goodreads website.

Law of the Book Jungle
I began posting a few reviews of non-fiction books at the Amazon website back in the previous millennium. However, by 2005 I had become disgusted by the effects of Amazon and other mega-corporations. Those megastores were systematically pushing small local bookstores out of business. I have no love for impersonal and homogenized mega-stores.

microstores
I'd rather spend my money in small local bookstores that are owned by people who know and love books. I recently went back to see how Goodreads is doing. Sigh.

Just once in my life I would like to see an example of
1) a small, innovative company that creates something then
2) that something gets bought by some mega-corporation and then
3) that something actually gets improved.

Ya, dream on....
a Goodreads bookshelf
my short "review" of The End of Eternity

Next: Duplicating a mind clone

No comments:

Post a Comment