Mar 29, 2020

Star Trek: Picard

A crappy plot:
"Let's shit on Data!"
My first question about Star Trek: Picard was to ask if the show would feature any interesting aliens. I soon learned that Picard is NOT really a star trek in the sense that I was hoping for: an adventure in space, going where we have never been before. There are recycled Borg and Romulans and some spaceships, but as far as I can tell, the entire season's story arc could just as easily have all taken place in a CBS studio. Yawn.

Minding my Ps and Qs
PDQ.   Star Trek fans recognize the scene to the left on this page. The first episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation was when I learned to dislike Captain Picard. The bloated "Encounter at Farpoint" provided plenty of opportunity for J-L Picard to give pompous speeches. Make it so Please say it ain't so. engage Disengage.

Danger: Thin Plot         90% of everything is crap.
Wishing that an interesting alien might
show up and save this steaming pile. 💩
I only watched the season finale of Picard. While trying to ignore the silly swords, I had time to wonder what I had missed in the first 9 episodes of the season. Watching episode 10, I was bored and waiting impatiently for something to happen. I was surprised to learn later that episode 10 was supposedly the second half of a two part episode. 🤷

Mind Transfer
We learn that technology exists to transfer a mind into a computerized virtual reality or into a synthetic body. This could have made for an interesting half-hour Twilight Zone episode, but right before the "thrilling" conclusion, they stuck in one last pompous J-L speech. Ew.

Captain's Privy
The "science" of Star Trek: no matter how advanced
future medical science might be, Hollywood
script writers can always find a lethal
disease to fill a plot hole.
When Picard died, it was easy to predict that he would be re-instantiated in an artificial body. In a disgusting example of class privilege (in Roddenberry's supposedly post-scarcity & classless future) Picard got a second life while poor Data simply got erased. Sucks to be Data. 🙁

Next: 15 Years of using Blogger
visit the Gallery of Book and Magazine Covers


No comments:

Post a Comment