Feb 15, 2010

Presidents Day

I enjoy writing fiction about distant events...distant in space or time. However, I often feel inspired by events that are close to home. Truth is often stranger than fiction. This post is in honor of Presidents Day....I have no personal memory of Kennedy so we start with... 

"I personally would rather have had Margaret Mead as President during the past six years of Vietnam than either Lyndon Johnson or Richard Nixon. At least she wouldn't have had her masculinity to prove. Much of the trouble this country is in has to do with the masculine mystique: The idea that manhood somehow depends on the subjugation of other people. It's a bipartisan problem." - Gloria Steinem (1970

"I have today met with the leaders of both parties in the Congress of the United States and I have informed them that I shall immediately request the Congress to pass a resolution making it clear that our Government is united in its determination to take all necessary measures in support of freedom and in defense of peace in southeast Asia." - Lyndon Johnson (1964

"North Vietnam cannot humiliate and defeat America — only Americans can do that." - Richard Nixon (1969

 "I'm not for women, frankly, in any job. I don't want any of them around. Thank God we don't have any in the Cabinet." - Nixon bonus quote 

source
"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan (1984

"And the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon." "When I take action, I’m not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It’s going to be decisive." "Saddam Hussein and his sons must leave Iraq within 48 hours. Their refusal to do so will result in military conflict, commenced at a time of our choosing." "We found the weapons of mass destruction. We found biological laboratories." "After all, this is a guy that tried to kill my dad at one time." -George W. Bush (2001-2002

My attempt to imagine a crazier world than our own: West Wing Wiki  

Image. President's Day Mattress Sale

No comments:

Post a Comment